Help with replacing Linux PC with Windows?
I've been asked to replace a Linux PC that plays videos for itself and for 6 Win XP workstations with a new PC.

1. Should I move to Windows for the server? or stay on Linux? I prefer Windows but want the most reliable solution.
2. Best hardware? Not sure if it streams or syncs the movies. can't risk underperforming config..should be fast.
3. Will I have to re-import all the movies or can I just copy them over?

Thanks
1. Stay with Linux - less overhead, and if dedicated as a media player, OpenELEC or XBMCBuntu is the way to go. Fool proof, extremely fast boot (as in less than 15 seconds on HDD, even quicker on SSD).
2. There is no need to go all out with Hardware. A cheap i3-3220 processor or an AMD A4 with a mini-ITX form mobo. These processors are more than powerful enough to stream 1080p, even 3D. 2 - 4 GB of memory is also more than sufficient. you can build using the above components for less than $500. No need to use a video card as the above mentioned CPU's all have graphics engines built is which work fantastic for video decoding in XBMC. Just make sure the mobo you do use has an HDMI port otherwise you will need a Video card. The system I have in my signature is what I use for my HTPC and it is severe overkill. I never use more than 30% of my CPU on a heavy load with 1080P files, and I'm about to pull 4GB of ram out of it as I never use more than 1 GB
3. Backup the video library in XBMC to a USB key. When the systems are up and running, so long as the media remains in the same folder structure on the new systems then no need to re-import the files. Just upload your XBMC Library backup and away you go.

Is the media stored on a dedicated NAS box and sent to the system that is requesting the files? Or is it stored on each individual HTPC system? I personally would avoid windows all together. I've gone back and forth between Ubuntu and Windows 7 and each time I end up back on Ubuntu. Its easier to setup, faster, requires less resources, and just as configurable as Windows - if not more.
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS
Thanks for taking the time to write a really helpful response.
I think the media is stored in a single pc/server because it went down and the other workstations could not play movies.
This is being done for a medical practice with 6 workstations having dual screens in each exam room.
On one screen is the EMR (medical software) on the other screen the patient can watch movies.
Bluetooth headphones are provided.
They are older workstations and I don't think there are plans to repace them at the moment. Do you think as a server streaming to 6 workstations (probably not 6 at once but it's possible) I'd be better off with an i7 or would it not make a difference?
I had never heard of XBMC until a few weeks ago, now I'm really excited about using it.
Streaming to 7 systems shouldn't be an issue at all. When it comes to streaming to attached systems on the same network, it comes down to transfer speed. So if the server with all the media on it has a 1 Gbps port on it, an i3 should work fine for a media server. There are plenty of people out there using systems much older than i3's (they are using P4's or Core2Duo's. A dual core processor at minimum is required but single core processors will work) If they don't want too replace the older systems that are actually playing the media they probably don't need to. A P4 is powerful enough to use XBMC (that's whats so great about it, it doesn't require a ton of processing power).
HTPC - i3-3240 Processor | Asus P8H77-I Mobo | 8 GB PC3 12800 DDR3 | 60 GB SSD | Windows 8.1 w/ XBMC Frodo
NAS Server - Dual Xeon E5440 Quad Core | 32 GB DDR2 ECC | 4 X 2TB Western Digital RED | RAIDz | FreeNAS

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Help with replacing Linux PC with Windows?0