Noob needs some help
Hi All,
I'm a Ubuntu and XBMC noob and am running into a problem. I just built an XBMC HTPC and downloaded and installed Frodo. I have the operating system on an SSD and have a 150GB hard drive as a media tank that I'm using while setting up and configuring the system. I also have 3TB storage in my main home network computer that I want to eventually add as the system storage for all media. I have had no real issues yet configuring this system using the local 150GB drive as the media source. XBMC locates all the movie and music files I have loaded on the locan 150GB drive as my system test, and gets all the data (album covers, fanart, etc) from the appropriate internet sources.

Today I experimented by adding my network 3TB drive as a video and music source. XBMC sees all the media and all the movies and albums show up, but when I try to update the data it says it is not connected and cannot update. However, if I just delete the network drive as a source it updates just fine (for the local drive, which is now configured as the only media source). So, the help I need is how do I get XBMC to continue to recognize the internet when I add/select the network drive as a source. (BTW, when I go to the add source screen, the icon for the network is red, not blue. What is the significance of that?). Why is adding the network drive disabling the ability to see the internet?

Thanks in advance for any help y'all are able to give.

David
Welcome to the XBMC forums.

(2013-05-08, 20:53)DavidK Wrote: (BTW, when I go to the add source screen, the icon for the network is red, not blue. What is the significance of that?). Why is adding the network drive disabling the ability to see the internet?

What icon are you referring to (i.e., where are you seeing this)?
You need to go to Videos -> Files, then right-click somewhere and "Add source", then browse for the 3TB drive. When you get a dialog you should set the content to Movies/TV shows/Music and select a proper scraper. After that updating the library should work and your content should start popping in.
Negge, that's exactly what I did, but when it searched for content it said it wasn't connected. When I deleted the source, it said it was connected. In any event, last night I tried it again and it worked, mostly. It found the content for 7 of the 8 movies I've ripped to the drive. I can't figure out either why it worked all of a sudden (or if it will work today when I try it again), or why it only found 7 of the 8. And yes, the content is there for all 8 -- it found it all before I added the 3TB drive. Curious, no?

David
Possibly a naming issue for the 1 out 8.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yup Nickr - you got it. spelled it wrong. Duh!

All appears to be working fine now.
lol, it happens...I always double check what I should name the file with imdb.com first, I always name the movie the title from imdb and I put the year its made in parentheses (an example: 2001-A Space Odyssey (1968).mkv)...I never have scrapping issues, also, you may want to try the universial scrapper for movies rather than the default scrapper, it has a bit more features.
Just use a supplemental tool like TheRenamer (wiki) and let it do all the matching for you. Its results are very XBMC friendly after some minimal setup.

uNi

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Noob needs some help0