My first HTPC build
Hi all, I'm buying a new HTPC, mainly for watching 3D HD (1080p) compressed .mkv content over USB for now. Later on i want to setup an unraid server but for now just have my video files on an external HDD's. The HTPC will also get used for playing recent video games like Need for Speed games, on medium to high settings.

So far i have come up with this build but i dont know much about building pc's so i guess i'm looking for some advice on what experienced users think.

I'm not sure what cpu to get.

The only thing i have purchased so far is the case and its hard to find a video card that is small enough to fit in that case.

I've had a look around at some other builds and think this might work.

Sapphire Radeon HD 6670 2GB DDR3
gigabyte ga h61m usb 3v
silverstone mL03b case
Kingston SSDNow V+200 120GB SATA III
cpu - ??
Antec EA-430-GREEN EarthWatts ATX Power Supply
Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
ENERMAX UC-8EB 80mm Case Fan

Any thoughts or comments?
A Intel Pentium G860 would be a nice, powerful, inexpensive CPU for this build. G860 + HD6670 makes a nice gaming combo. It's a popular combo, just Google "G860 + HD6670" and you'll find a lot of comments about it including some video of Need For Speed running on that combo.
Hi, Thank you for your reply....

I have read a few comments saying the G860 doesn't play 3D movies?? Do you know if this is true?

Thanks for your time
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation...id=1&leg=0

I believe all the 6600 series card come with 3d, but you need a 1.4 hdmi and 3d TV to experience it.

See hear,
http://www.sapphiretech.com/presentation...id=1&leg=0

AMD HD3D Technology

Enjoy the most immersive experience possible with full support for High Definition Stereoscopic 3D, a technique that presents 2D images (movies, games, photos) in a format that creates the illusion of three-dimensional depth when using compatible 3D displays / glasses / software.
(2013-05-21, 02:03)nizzickle Wrote: Hi, Thank you for your reply....

I have read a few comments saying the G860 doesn't play 3D movies?? Do you know if this is true?

Thanks for your time

Since you have a graphics card you won't be using the GPU on the G860. Whatever your graphics card supports is what you'll be able to view.
Thanks Dougie!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My first HTPC build0