Solved RaspBMC: Access web services from different subnet
Hi All,

Let me first thank everyone for taking a look at this.

I have a connectivity issue that I'm not familiar enough with linux/xbmc specifics to resolve. I have 4 subnets - a wired subnet, a wifi subnet and 2 vpn subnets. All subnets can route to each other via firewall rules on the router. I have remotes (iOS, laptops, etc) that I would like to be able to access the web server/API on my xbmc system on, but they are not on the same subnet. This functionality works perfectly on the local subnet of the XBMC machine. Connection attempts from all other subnets are ignored. I am fairly certain this is a firewall setting that is setup by default on the xbmc system. I'm using raspbmc, which has xmbc V11 I believe.

I am totally comfortable with ssh'ing to the xbmc system and modifying config files, I just don't how the firewall is being managed. Any pointers are appreciated. Thanks again!
As far as I know there is no firewall on raspbmc, but you should really visit the raspBMC forums or wiki for that.

Also, I moved this to the Raspberry Pi subforum here as it is a very specific question that should not be in General forum.

EDIT: You did not even google it, shame on you. Disable the firewall from the RaspBMC settings.
I'll try their forum over at raspbmc as well.

I thought as you did, but I am able to use the same subnets to connect to another webserver adjacent to the raspbmc installation. In other words:

wifi subnet A Device A -> wired subnet B raspbmc:80 = NO
wifi subnet A Device A -> wired subnet B raspbmc:ICMP PING = NO
wifi subnet A Device A -> wired subnet B webserver:80 = YES
wifi subnet A Device A -> wired subnet B webserver:ICMP PING = YES
VPN subnet C Device A (mobile) -> wired subnet B raspbmc:80 = NO
VPN subnet C Device A (mobile) -> wired subnet B webserver:80 = YES
VPN subnet C Device A (mobile) -> wired subnet B raspbmc:ICMP PING = NO
VPN subnet C Device A (mobile) -> wired subnet B webserver:ICMP PING = YES

This leads me to believe it is not a routing issue. Also, there are 0 firewall rules for all internal subnets and their default action is accept.
Thanks for your help!
Raspbmc has in fact enabled iptables. In order to fix this particular issue other people can read this thread here:

http://forum.stmlabs.com/showthread.php?tid=6726

Thanks Kibje for the reply.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
RaspBMC: Access web services from different subnet0