• 112(current)
Linux VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.04
Another issue I have stumbled across with the Haswell Celeron 2955u based Chromebox in Kodi running on Ubuntu 15.04 Server Edition following this guide.

With some content, I believe with the VAPI deinterlacing modes on (though I have not yet finished troubleshooting) I experience massive UI flickering. The video itself looks great, but open up the GUI to do anything and it cuts in and out as various parts of the video frame seem to update on top of the GUI, followed by the GUI quickly reasserting itself and covering it up again, leading to a random flashing pattern across the screen

it's a little difficult to reproduce as it happens in some shows on some channels and not on others and I don't control which settings the streams use. I've only seen it with broadcast mpeg2 streams though.

The appearance is similar - in a way - to what the old 3DFX Voodoo 1 boards used to look like when they overheated (but lm-sensors indicate normal temps).

Is this a known issue, or would it be helpful to do another sample stream and log dump?
Livingroom: 65" Panasonic Plasma, Denon AVR-x3300w, Parasound A31, Fronts: RBH SX-6300 Towers, Center: RBH 441-se, Surrounds: RBH 41-se Sub: Dual SVS PC13-Ultra, Source: Custom Kodi Box
Desk: DAC: Schiit Modi Multibit,Headphones: Schiit Jotunheim -> Sennheiser HD650 & Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro, Speakers: Parasound 275v2-> RBH 41-se & SVS SB12-NSD
Whenever you test something with a *buntu, make the same tests with OpenELEC. On OE we made sure for while debugging many, many months - that stuff works "maximal" good. This special issue does not sound common at all - It rather sounds like some Ubuntu kernel / X stack issue.

Edit: And yeah as always: Debug Log or it never happened :-)
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
(2015-05-15, 16:39)mattlach Wrote:
(2015-05-15, 12:25)gurabli Wrote: Just don't get Asus, why they decided to go with matx form...

I've been on the opposite side of that coin many times cursing motherboard companies for going ITX when I desperately need more PCIe slots :p

Not everyone is doing the exact same thing with the computers they build. :p

I agree, there should be both builds available, itx and matx too, with more pcie slots available. However, the Baswell SoC is much more designed to be on an itx board, just look at the x1 PCIe spec, that is not too good at all, I believe SATA3 pcie cards also need x2 at least, not sure about this.
Anyway, I'm sure there will be more itx versions coming soon, and will see how they perform. I still really hope they will be great and I really hope so.
...This is HTPC...nobody cares >ITX...including me Big Grin
Hi there!
I am using XBMC/KODI for several years, and I am following this thread from its beginning. Now I had to register because I need to ask. Is this really truth:
(2015-03-19, 20:22)fritsch Wrote: Good news.

Intel fixed MCDI / MADI for IVB, SNB, BYT - as we speak wsnipex is building new packages. They should go through the normal ppa with version: 1.5.1~pre1
?

I am on Arch linux, my actual kernel is 4.0.2, libva and intel driver is 1.5.1, mesa 10.5.5. CPU is i3-3220T (IVB). I have built Kodi yesterday from here: https://github.com/FernetMenta/xbmc/tree/master (I hope this is the right git repository for the Kodi build which is this thread about).

When I choose VAAPI-Motion adaptive as deinterlacer for my SD DVB-T stream then result is jerky. VAAPI-BOB deinterlacer is working fine. There is no MCDI in deiterlace options at all. Is there something wrong on my side?

Anyway thanks everybody involved in creating this perfect piece of software!
You need the relevant patches, that are not in any stable libva-driver-intel. You can pick them either from the libva mailing list (haihao xiang sent them) or pick them from here: https://github.com/fritsch/libva-intel-d...-new-1.5.0 ML: http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/li...03311.html <- first one of 6
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Thank you very much! It works perfectly now.
And BSW boards are finally here!! Well, not quite, as the boards are not yet available for sale, and there are still no boards with DC input, but ASRock really made some nice boards with excellent specs -- at least on paper.

Look at the available product range here: ASRock Braswell boards

Two of these looks very promising, but I leave to you guys to decide on this. There is a board with the Quad-core Pentium (N3700) and the one with the Quad-core Celeron (N3150).

Comparison of the two SoC's by Intel: N3700 vs N3150
In terms of CPU power I think there are not too much differences, the Celeron will be slower by a margin in real world performance (like with desktop Celeron and Pentium CPUs).

However, comparing the GPU on the two SoC's (N3700 vs N3150):

- base frequency: 400 MHz vs 320 MHz
- burst frequency: 700 MHz vs 640 MHz
- EUs: 16 vs 12

I hope that the lower specs of N3150 and it's 12 EUs are still good enough for hw deinterlacing of 1080i without any hiccups.
Probably we will see this once they hit the market and first tests are performed by you guys (I don't care about other site's synthetic benchmarks).

And both boards have a SPIDIF optical out, and that is really great! Thinking about a small home server? There are actually 4 SATA3 ports onboard, something that is more then great again! There is also support for "Supports HDMI with max. resolution up to 4K x 2K (3840x2160) @ 30Hz or 2560x1600 @ 60Hz", not that I personally really care about this (however, H.265/HEVC @ level 5 (GPU accelerated) sounds interesting).

My concern is the Realtek RTL8111GR LAN, as I have read many bad reviews with Realtek LAN and Linux. I hope these things are resolved and newer kernels and/or drivers doesn't have problems with this.

We also get a PCIe 2.0 slot, though limited to x1, and a miniPCIe slot for WiFi cards (not that this makes too much sense to use g/n either for htpc or home server), but maybe new wifi standards will be also supported? The PCIe slot might be good to put in a decent Intel network card, if the integrated Realtek really underperformes. Or a decent sound card for Hi-Fi music enthusiasts like Xonar, and there you go.

I'm afraid we will miss again CEC support, just as CIR. Would have been nice to see these two on all boards.

Anyway, here is the N3700-ITX and the N3150-ITX board.

And, I'm very curious about the price. And just can't wait to receive the good news from fritsch that everything is working fineSmile)))

EDIT: until we don't see the DC versions of the board (and unfortunately it looks no N3700 with DC will be available, just N3150) we are left with the sweetest questions in terms of power: what power supply to use with these perfect low power boards? Somewhere around 40-50W would be more then enough, depending on the number of SATA drives and their type. Anyone seen one like that, a picoPSU lowets is 90W if I'm not mistaken. Perhaps a DC-DC power board, I saw there are versions with 60-75W.
Some other news:

BDW: Won't do HEVC <- yeah you read right the current i5 BDW Nuc flagship won't do HEVC.
BSW: Will do HEVC (It's half a SKL) -> and btw. the GPU Part only is called CHV within mesa and vaapi, while the complete chip, gpu + cpu is called CHV.

Missing: ffmpeg_hevc.c - Let's hope @FernetMenta wants to save the world a 3rd time :-)
(2015-05-21, 10:48)fritsch Wrote: Some other news:

BDW: Won't do HEVC <- yeah you read right the current i5 BDW Nuc flagship won't do HEVC.
BSW: Will do HEVC (It's half a SKL) -> and btw. the GPU Part only is called CHV within mesa and vaapi, while the complete chip, gpu + cpu is called CHV.

Missing: ffmpeg_hevc.c - Let's hope @FernetMenta wants to save the world a 3rd time :-)

Can you expand on that? My i5 broadwell NUC can do 4K HEVC decode of 24p material.
Intel Gen8 HD graphics with 12 execution units and 320MHz base / 600MHz boost frequency. Maximum shared memory of 512MB
How can that do 4K HEVC decode?
@robo989: _Not_ in hardware - you can kill your CPU while you do it with 400% load. On Linux - the gpu memory is handled differently anyways.

Quite easily: 3840x2160 * 8 / 1024 / 1024 ~ 64 MB - with 4 Reference frames ~ 256 MB Memory.

Edit: Level 5.1 tells about 6 Reference frames, so correct the above calculation accordingly (384 MB) and with 10 bit: 125% of that one.
Edit 2: After I learned about that fact yesterday - I would return my i5 BDW nuc - if I had bought it. Did not assume though, that SKL will land that fast (in the 8.5 version in CHV).
(2015-05-21, 15:12)robo989 Wrote:

Can you expand on that? My i5 broadwell NUC can do 4K HEVC decode of 24p material.
Intel Gen8 HD graphics with 12 execution units and 320MHz base / 600MHz boost frequency. Maximum shared memory of 512MB

Aren't Broadwell and Haswell doing hybrid CPU+GPU HEVC decode (at least in Windows) rather than full GPU? AIUI they are offloading the H264-like elements of HEVC to the GPU, but there is some stuff that the GPU can't do, and that is done by the CPU.
Jep - that's what they do - on windows only.
(2015-05-23, 03:36)noggin Wrote:
(2015-05-21, 15:12)robo989 Wrote:

Aren't Broadwell and Haswell doing hybrid CPU+GPU HEVC decode (at least in Windows) rather than full GPU? AIUI they are offloading the H264-like elements of HEVC to the GPU, but there is some stuff that the GPU can't do, and that is done by the CPU.

Yes that was my understanding.

(2015-05-23, 08:09)fritsch Wrote: Jep - that's what they do - on windows only.

Though I didn't realize it was intended to be windows only.
Are you saying that there will be no assisted decoding for Linux, going forward?
No. There won't. Especially not as SKL and Braswell are arround the corner with code already in the VAAPI.

Also this "hybrid" thing unlikely scales to 4k that well. So is just an intermediate solution from my pov.
  • 112(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
VAAPI: Nuc, Chromebox, HSW, IVB, Baytrail with Ubuntu 14.0416