Win Windows 7 / AMD build
Hello everyone.. I've seached and searched and have found conflicting info regarding the best way to setup my bios, and xbmc video settings. This is my first htpc build and I want to make sure I have everything 'tweeked' for best performance before I start loading media onto my computer. Hoping someone could please help me out....
I have a MSI motherboard FM2-A75MA-E35 and a AMD A4 APU with 4gb of memory installed.

Ive been reading about AMP for AMD and XMP for Intel settings in the bios to increase APU performance. Im confuse if I should even bother adjusting this setting. Also if there are any other 'tweeks' I should make, please let me know.
* I do not have a video card

As far as video settings in XBMC, I guess I should to see how XBMC video runs after I have my bios settings tweeked for peak performance.

* My setup will mostly be streaming video through internet with XBMC. Im sure everyones is, but I wanted to throw that in here.

Can someone please help clerify some of my confusion? Thanks to all!
If you have DDR3-1866 or DDR3-1600 RAM, you would want to choose the XMP profile that corresponds to your memory speed. Otherwise, it'll run at 1333Mhz which has been shown here to cause pixelation/tearing issues with AMD APUs. I would recommend DDR3-1866 for an AMD APU.
(2013-05-30, 21:34)Dougie Fresh Wrote: If you have DDR3-1866 or DDR3-1600 RAM, you would want to choose the XMP profile that corresponds to your memory speed. Otherwise, it'll run at 1333Mhz which has been shown here to cause pixelation/tearing issues with AMD APUs. I would recommend DDR3-1866 for an AMD APU.

Thanks Dougie! are there any other settings I should look into? I was also confused on an Intel setting for an AMD APU/motherboard?? I need to check into the bios again when I get home to be sure these settings are listed correctly.
I just set this the other day in the same motherboard and I think there's it's just called XMP Profile without the Intel part Smile.

I would go into PC Health Monitor (or whatever it's called) and set the CPU target temperature so your CPU fan doesn't run at full. I usually set it to 60C on the MSI.

Other that that, I don't mess with anything else.
(2013-05-30, 23:05)Dougie Fresh Wrote: I just set this the other day in the same motherboard and I think there's it's just called XMP Profile without the Intel part Smile.

I would go into PC Health Monitor (or whatever it's called) and set the CPU target temperature so your CPU fan doesn't run at full. I usually set it to 60C on the MSI.

Other that that, I don't mess with anything else.

Great! I REALLY appreciate the assistance ! I'll post back if Its solved....Thanks a lot Dougie
memory is 1600Mhz..Sad should I get me some 1866 or is there another setting I could try to adjust?
I would try the 1600MHz since you already have it and if you have issues go with the 1866MHz. The difference between 1333 and 1600 is a lot more than 1600 and 1866.
I adjusted the Bios setting last night, and clicked through a few videos and WOW what a difference the XMP setting made! My system even streamed through a BluRay without any trouble at all! I'm impressed! I did get a little 'hickup' on one particular site...cant remember what it was right now, but overall a great tweek. Thanks much Dougie! you da man! really appreciate your quick response, replies, and willingness to help. Not often people get this anymore.

Couple more questions while I have your attention ...
1. are there any video settings you would suggest?
2. in my bios there was a setting (just above the XMP setting that had something to do with adjusting different ram Mhz settings. I cant remember what it was called exactly, but it gave me the option to choose from 1333Mhz up to 1866Mhz and an Auto setting. I left this to Auto but should I change to a different setting?
3. in the bios there was another setting for Integrated Graphics. it had an option of PEG or IGD. It was defaulted to PEG should I leave at PEG or change to IGD ? I dont have a separate video card installed. and what is/ what does this setting do?

Thanks again everyone!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Windows 7 / AMD build0