Single vs Dual core for NAS
Guys & Gals,

I am currently in the planning stages of building a NAS for the same reason everyone else does so. In the past I built a server that was overkill for my needs and ended up getting rid of it.
I am looking for a mITX system that will allow me to start off with 4 HDD's and that is a complete motherboard/CPU solution. I found this
Motherboard
but I am concerned that for a media server and possibly? a torrent client that its single core will not be enough.

Anyone have any input?
If all you are doing is NAS like FreeNAS or unRaid with a torrent client you will have no issues with performance even when its running a parity check. If you add things like SAB, CouchPotato, SickBeard, HeadPhones it will still work and you will not see any issues while streaming from the device as a SMB or NFS share but will take longer to unrar files than if you had more cpu.
יונתן בן-חיים
Just a quick scan of prices: a single-core G645 is $39.99 and a dual-core G1610 is $42.99. I don't see a compelling reason here to go for the single-core.
(2013-06-04, 19:45)Dougie Fresh Wrote: Just a quick scan of prices: a single-core G645 is $39.99 and a dual-core G1610 is $42.99. I don't see a compelling reason here to go for the single-core.

I was hoping to just use a mITX board with either a AMD or Intel CPU such as the one I linked in my OP. I really dont want to spend 45 on the CPU and still need to purchase a board also. But again, I am asking for advice and if the dual core will be more suited for the price difference then I will go that direction.
If you can find the ASUS C60M1-I motherboard, it'd make a really good NAS motherboard. I have the ASUS E35M1-I and it does a great job. The nice thing about the ASUS boards is 6 x SATA.

For just serving files, even the E-240 should be enough. It's all going to be about the NIC and the SATA controller.

Here's the ASUS C60M1-I at Amazon for $80: http://www.amazon.com/Asus-C60M1-I-SATA3...B007ZT1FAI (edit: bummer now out of stock!)
It will be connected to a gigabit network and I will be using either OMV or Nas4Free to implement a software raid to stream bluray dumps that have large bit rates

I found this guy that is pretty much the same as the OP board but dual core..

Motherboard
What CPU did you end up getting? And how is it working for you?

I am currently researching hardware options for a NAS build and found this thread while searching for some opinions on dual core versus single core. I am mostly concerned with power. As a previous poster stated there is not much difference in price, but there's usually a difference in power, and I want it low because this will be on almost all day.

Any thoughts on under-clocking a dual core?
If you got a G1610 with a ASUS P8H77-I you could underclock it. You can reduce the multiplier on the non-K parts even with an Hxx chipset. When idle, it's going to be very low power but this also depends on the PSU and how many drives you have too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Single vs Dual core for NAS0