Android TP-Link Big Eye
Just bumped into a new Android product from TP-Link called Big Eye (大眼睛)
Looks to be available only in China for the moment, description and pictures here ( http://www.tp-link.com.cn/product_bigeye_304.html ) in chinese only, couldn't find the product description on the global website.
Android 4.1
Cortex A9 dual core 1.6Ghz
Quad-core Mali 400MP
1Gb RAM
4Gb Flash
MicroSD slot, 2xUSB
Webcam

Similar configuration as the other Android boxes but the design is very nice and the price quite reasonable.

Price is roughly USD 55 in China online retailer.

If anyone got his hand on it, I'd like to know how it perform.

Edit : Link
not again...
(2013-06-05, 08:33)eskro Wrote: not again...

Interesting. Could you please elaborate?
(2013-06-05, 10:58)fatchoy Wrote:
(2013-06-05, 08:33)eskro Wrote: not again...

Interesting. Could you please elaborate?

Just a guess... The millions of the 'other' android boxes that get asked on a daily basis. At least it isn't 'will this work with xbmc'.

But you want to know if anyone has had any personal experience with it, reasonable enough.
its more about "another user with only 1 post, this one in here" that acts as if he questions the box
in a way to actually promote it.
I doubt TP-Link would need this kind of lame advertisement.
i dont
Well yeah I'm new on this forum, I'm not as experienced as you I'm just trying to present something new to the other because so far I haven't seen this kind of webcam box you can put on top of your TV.
Just to be clear, I don't work for TP-Link, I don't resell any of their stuff and I don't have any stocks or any investment whatsoever. I didn't even put a link to buy the product unlike most of the other post regarding boxes. I like this product because of the design and I know the similar box with the same hardware does not perform well but I think TP-Link has the potential to make it a great product unlike some other unknown companies that just put a different sticker on a box they bought in a Chinese factory.

Of course they don't perform as good a full build HTPC but the pricing is also not the same but price start much less than a full HTPC and I appreciate silent and small boxes to put in my living room.
The Android version of XBMC is catching up and the experimental version with hardware decoding works very well. I beleive that kind of box will be in your list in the near future.
definitely.
The Big Eye (aka TP Mini) is very capable player. Well constructed and looks good on the tv.

I can run any 1080p video throught BSPlayer even inside a rar file. But sadly only videos in SD run on XBMC due to the lack of HW acceleration support.

There is a way to use an external player on android using XBMC. I didn't have time to try but I sure will.

Regards.
Hey guys,

I decided to start a company that will outsource the manufacture of a cheap android stick to a Chinese company.

My business plan is to make them cheap, and hire a bunch of people on freelancer.com to go on the forums of xbmc, plex and what not, create brand new accounts and post questions and anecdotes about my product.

I think I am the first person to have thought about this. It's genius.

What do you guys think? Will it work?

/s
I dunno about running XBMC on it. But this device seems like a gateway device to people developing input apps that utilize the camera, to give Kinect-like funcitonality (or Galaxy S4 like phone functionality).

Just saying, if this camera was watching the faces in the room, and then when it doesn't see any faces it pauses (this may be very bad if the camera sucks balls), but it could be great for pausing a movie when I get to go to the kitchen or something. "Where did I put the keyboard?? Who cares, I can just walk away!"
The camera thats in these things is basic and pretty much just for Skype.

Archos already have a similar device on the market that you can buy right now the Archos TV Connect however it's not good for XBMC, there's lots of little issues that folks miss when it comes to Android STB's.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
TP-Link Big Eye0