• 5(current)
XBMC settings won't save, why????
Ok how do I get the IP address of the media player so I can connect to it with FileZilla?

I have logging disabled in XBMC, is there still a background log that goes on or does this have to be switched on?

Also, I cannot find the log file location anywhere, is it hidden using FIle Manager app?
I've just PM'd you the log file link, looks like the script does stop running after it finds the two settings files and doesn't continue after that... well to me anyway. Let me know what the story is when you have a look Smile Thanks
Could you just write a very basic script that copies guisettings and advancedsetting from a location to the userdata folder BEFORE xbmc boots pls? Doesn't need to backup files. I'll do that myself to the backup folder. Just need a script that will copy the two settings files from a separate location to the userdata folder before xbmc even starts. Can the script auto start after a 5second delay of the media device to load sd card and display a couple of messages saying it started and when it is finished? And maybe even autoboot xbmc after script has run and a message before autoboot of xbmc saying settings files copied successfully, starting xbmc.

Thanks
To disable saving just comment out from while 1: until the end or just delete it from the default.py and saving should be disabled for good.

now this is a startup script for xbmc, this means xbmc has to start first and then loads its startup scripts. Since now i know you are running android os if you want to run something BEFORE xbmc you should be looking at an android tool like automate it or something like that to stop xbmc from running. Remember if you want to run something at startup from xbmc, xbmc has to load first theres no other way around it.

Now, you have the same device i have, and im telling you i have a working installation but without android os, try it out its rock solid unless you want something from android os i dont see why you are struggling so much..
Nope couldnt care less about android, but dont want to brick the device and not 100% sure what i have is what you have but they do look identical.

This is the unit i have: http://www.ebay.com/itm/190831672144

Can i load whatever you are using on it without danger of bricking it? Is it a straight forward process?

Automateit is not found in Google Play.

If i find a program to autoboot a script on device boot is it easy enough to write a small script to copy files from folder x to folder y after a delay of z seconds and then autorun XBMC at the end of the script?

PS, i dont get how your script works if it runs AFTER XBMC has loaded, how can it copy and overwrite settings files and take effect if XBMC has already opened and is running using the settings files that were already present?
First, yeah its the same device pretty sure, now so you can gain a little confidence in it, theres a little trick to enter into RECOVER mode which is used to flash whatever you want into the device..

Pay attention... Go get a paperclip or a toothpick(this is better) and without powering the device insert it in the AV hole thats on the back, and try to find at the end a button, its pretty small but it there, press it and hold it, then without releasing power the device and you will enter into recovery mode.

How easy is to flash? just use the second option and give it a ZIP file with the new flash and thats it the unit will flash in a couple of minutes, its fool proof and you wont brick your device.

Now about my script how is it working if this is doing it after, theres a good explaination, but im pretty sure i will confuse you to hell, you have to have a little faith in me, flash the firmware i told you, then use the unmodified script, reboot, configure, reboot and be happy Smile

AFTER you are set and having a device fully working i will explain how its working but not before you see it working..
My ouya won't save xbmc settings either.
(2013-07-06, 17:49)adrianc1982 Wrote: First, yeah its the same device pretty sure, now so you can gain a little confidence in it, theres a little trick to enter into RECOVER mode which is used to flash whatever you want into the device..

Pay attention... Go get a paperclip or a toothpick(this is better) and without powering the device insert it in the AV hole thats on the back, and try to find at the end a button, its pretty small but it there, press it and hold it, then without releasing power the device and you will enter into recovery mode.

How easy is to flash? just use the second option and give it a ZIP file with the new flash and thats it the unit will flash in a couple of minutes, its fool proof and you wont brick your device.

Now about my script how is it working if this is doing it after, theres a good explaination, but im pretty sure i will confuse you to hell, you have to have a little faith in me, flash the firmware i told you, then use the unmodified script, reboot, configure, reboot and be happy Smile

AFTER you are set and having a device fully working i will explain how its working but not before you see it working..

Haha fair enough. So once I've flashed the firmware you've used what OS will I be running so I know how I can navigate around? And what XBMC will I have to use or can I use the current 12.0 version/build that I currently use? Once I know this info I'll do it today and yea I've heard about the button at the back of the AV port Smile

PS would it not be easier (and less risky) to have a basic script to run at boot of the device (after short delay to allow SD card to load) to copy both settings files from backup location x to real xbmc location y then autoboot xbmc at the end of the script?

Oh xbmc is included in that firmware?? Is this the actual and only file I download?
(http://www.sendspace.com/file/k0ls2n)

And can I run it off a USB stick or do I need to copy it to the internal SD card and run it from within the device?

Sorry about all the Qs just don't want anything bricked and I'm planning on writing a tutorial on all of this to help others that run into the same issue I have Smile
the firmware has the xbmc included so dont worry about it.

yeah you can use an usb just copy the zip file in ZIP file dont uncompress..
Ok cool will do that when I get home a little later on today - thanks bud.

PS better not brick it! haha Wink
look at it from the bright side heheheh if you brick it your problem will be over Wink lol hehehehe

no seriously, you are investing more time trying to fix something the hard way than what the box is actually worth, you have at least 2 weeks trying to fix it man, give up and take a leap of faith.

I havent been able to brick a device like this but I really hope your box works sometime soon, it feels now as much my work as it is yours Smile lol
That doesn't work either Undecided

I get:

Install /udisk
Finding update package...
Opening update package...
Verifying update package...
EConfusedignature verification failed
Installation aborted

try apply update(option 2) and ignore those errors..

apply update and it will give you an sdcard and your usb card choose your usb and look for the zip file with the new firmware.
That is what i was doing and got the above errors
  • 5(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC settings won't save, why????0