Suggest $500 Linux Build
I am looking to replace my Boxee Box and build my first XBMC HTPC and need some suggestions.

I have a Linux NFS server with all my videos, so a small SSD will be sufficient. It is wired to a gig network so wireless is not needed.

I do not have a need for a tiny case, but I do want it to be as quiet as possible, but still have excellent graphic quality (3D is not necessary). The ability to upgrade to a newer/better video card is a strong desire.

Which distro would be recommended? I do want to do more than just run XBMC on this box, so I am leaning away from OpenElec or XBMCbuntu. SSH access and python scripting are must-haves. I'd love to be able to VNC into this system, and browse the web from this system.

I have a budget of about $500. Any recommendations are appreciated.
Schould be no problem to get something for about 300$.
Check the builds posted here.
XBMCbuntu is great you can just close XBMC and open the desktop.
Build Ubuntu minimal as you need it?
I've built a few with these components and it's very, very quiet...

ASUS M5A78L-M

GeForce GT 520 or even a GeForce 210

Athlon II X4 or Athlon II X3

Vengeance 4GB

60 GB SSD

K400 keyboard for remote

I use this case to connect to my NAS over NFS it just has one 60 GB SSD...
COOLER MASTER Elite 430
or if you need to load it with HDD's and carry it around...
COOLER MASTER Storm Scout
Currently I load this case up with 4 3TB Barracuda's ST3000DM001 and 1 4TB Seagate Desktop ST4000DM000 with room for 4 more HDD's all symlinked to the Home folder. I then rsync it with my NAS and take my collection on trips (movies like to get out of the house to you know). Smile Here's a pic of this build.

COOLER MASTER GX 450W

Total = $446.69

With XBMCbuntu you can browse the internet or whatever you want. On one of my XBMCbuntu machines I have some of the Humble Bundle games installed as well as Steam. It's not my gaming PC by any means, but it's cool to see your Steam library on your HTPC. Smile

I run XBMCbuntu 12.2 (xbmcbuntu-12.00.Intel-NVIDIA and then sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get upgrade) on this hardware without any issues. with the exception of this fix...

For some reason there is a problem with lightdm that affects audio devices detection. A workaround was posted here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid...pid1257314 Modify the /etc/init/lightdm.conf

sudo nano /etc/init/lightdm.conf

Code:
start on ((filesystem
           and runlevel [!06]
           and started dbus
           and started udev-finish
           and stopped udevtrigger
           and (drm-device-added card0 PRIMARY_DEVICE_FOR_DISPLAY=1
                or stopped udev-fallback-graphics))
          or runlevel PREVLEVEL=S)

Source: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=XBM...io_devices

If you need any help or anything just ask.
check my htpc guide in my forum signature Wink
(2013-06-19, 01:11)SPC CHEESE Wrote: I've built a few with these components and it's very, very quiet...
Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Quiet, powerful, and room to grow.

The case, however, is a bit big since it will be so empty. The only components that would be inside would be the SSD and the video card. Do you have any recommendation for a smaller case? Preferably one with a fanless power supply, external or not? (Just trying to reduce noise as much as possible.)
Sorry but I dont see a reason to buy an Athlon 2.

Check eskros linux builds.
(2013-06-19, 14:41)TeKo Wrote: Sorry but I dont see a reason to buy an Athlon 2.

I do, and I did. Thus the post.
(2013-06-19, 14:41)TeKo Wrote: Sorry but I dont see a reason to buy an Athlon 2.

Why not? They're cheap, run super cool and don't draw a ton of power + they pack a punch if you decide to log out of XBMC to play a game or even play a movie that requires CPU/software decoding.
(2013-06-19, 14:45)Scottes Wrote:

I do, and I did. Thus the post.

Maybe some time ago but right now you can get something more fitting. quad core 95w cpu is overkill, the ssd is not really good, case is way too big for a htpc.
(2013-06-19, 14:34)Scottes Wrote:
(2013-06-19, 01:11)SPC CHEESE Wrote: I've built a few with these components and it's very, very quiet...
Thanks, this is exactly what I'm looking for. Quiet, powerful, and room to grow.

The case, however, is a bit big since it will be so empty. The only components that would be inside would be the SSD and the video card. Do you have any recommendation for a smaller case? Preferably one with a fanless power supply, external or not? (Just trying to reduce noise as much as possible.)

The COOLER MASTER Elite 430 is about the smallest case I use, it's lite made of mostly plastic with great air flow, room to grow and it can be used for anything down the road. The size doesn't bother me because, I just set these things next to TV stands (my aunt has hers at least 10' from the TV with all the satellite and stereo equipment since her TV just hangs on the wall all by itself) and my own HTPC sits behind my TV so I can't even see it and I never even have to physically touch it, just use Wake on LAN via Android.

It's small fans that make all the racket and that PSU has a 120mm fan so you won't hear it at all.
(2013-06-19, 15:24)TeKo Wrote: Maybe some time ago but right now you can get something more fitting. quad core 95w cpu is overkill, the ssd is not really good, case is way too big for a htpc.
More fitting for your desires is not necessarily more fitting for my desires. Overkill for you is not necessarily overkill for me.
(2013-06-19, 15:36)Scottes Wrote:
(2013-06-19, 15:24)TeKo Wrote: Maybe some time ago but right now you can get something more fitting. quad core 95w cpu is overkill, the ssd is not really good, case is way too big for a htpc.
More fitting for your desires is not necessarily more fitting for my desires. Overkill for you is not necessarily overkill for me.

Yes for you, but not for OP. Nothing against your build.
I *am* the OP.
hehe mobile trolled me ;)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Suggest $500 Linux Build0