Best device for XBMC currently?
My Revo 3610 recently died so I am looking for a new XBMC box. I really like the form factor of my ATV3 but its not jailbroken so no XBMC on it.

Specifically if I want bitstreaming of DTS-MA and TruHD to my AVR and smooth 1080p what are my options, still just some sort of HTPC with Windows or Linux builds? I was thinking a MacMini but I don't know if OSX build of XBMC does the HD audio bitstreaming or not (I could also run Windows on it though).

Do any of the settop boxes do this yet? I know the Rasperry Pi doesn't, not sure on the Ouya, last I read it didn't and ATV2 is out for me as it is only 720p? Also not sure on any of the other Android boxes like the Pivos, etc.
Celeron Nuc - $165
2 GB ram - $20
USB flash drive for Openelec - Free if you have one or $10

Total: $185-195

If you don't know about Openelec... do some searching. It's what we recommend for anyone only really needing XBMC.

The NUC meets all your requirements.

In my opinion, without a jailbreak, set top boxes aren't quite there yet. You could also do some searching on the Pivos, but for the extra 60... I'm buying a NUC.
I have looked at the NUCs and the Q190. Does it have a GBE port or wifi. I know it's expandable with USB and mini pice but I stream Mkv rips of my blurays and need the bandwidth. Would a USB2 Ethernet adapter be too slow for that? 4"x4" is an appealing form factor though.

How's the dxva quality of the igp (is it a hd3000 or 4000 on the Carleton 847?) I've only experienced NVIDIA and AMD which are top notch. Any issues with livetv? I also use an HDHomerun for OTA which is MPEG2 I believe and quality deinterlacing of 1080i would be nice.
It has a gigabit port.

There is a long thread about the NUC around here. Not many mentions of 1080i other than a few who claim to have issues.

The gpu is I believe something around Intel HD 2000. Good enough for all normally used 2D videos (including mkv).

You may want to check into other options if you need deinterlacing. Or maybe someone who knows more about that can answer.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Best device for XBMC currently?1