HP Proliant MicroServer N54L
Hello XBMC Community!

I recently picked myself up a HP Proliant MicroServer N54L that I have windows server 2012 running on smoothly, with the stock 2GB Ram.

I currently use the server to stream media all around my house using DLAN and upnp using serviio which works great, I would like to make the server multipurpose, pick myself up a cheap, silent, low power, not hot graphics card Nvidia 210?
To run XBMC straight from the box, I have a friend that has this exact setup and he cant get XBMC to stream movies smoothly, Yes hardware acceleration is on, and yes DXVA2 is enabled, yes the drivers are upto date, yes graphics card software is installed.

I would have assumed there wouldnt be a problem since I can stream 1080 movies from the server using my Raspberry Pi for gods sake! That dousnt have any problems.

So, im here looking for suggestions please Smile
(2013-06-28, 15:24)GodsDead Wrote: Hello XBMC Community!

I recently picked myself up a HP Proliant MicroServer N54L that I have windows server 2012 running on smoothly, with the stock 2GB Ram.

I currently use the server to stream media all around my house using DLAN and upnp using serviio which works great, I would like to make the server multipurpose, pick myself up a cheap, silent, low power, not hot graphics card Nvidia 210?
To run XBMC straight from the box, I have a friend that has this exact setup and he cant get XBMC to stream movies smoothly, Yes hardware acceleration is on, and yes DXVA2 is enabled, yes the drivers are upto date, yes graphics card software is installed.

I would have assumed there wouldnt be a problem since I can stream 1080 movies from the server using my Raspberry Pi for gods sake! That dousnt have any problems.

So, im here looking for suggestions please Smile

Maybe this one?
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Asus-GeForce-Gra...asus+gt610

Read that the Asus 620 wouldnt fit...
Having enough grunt available to stream files out to clients is one thing.

Having enough grunt to do that AND play back videos via XBMC - maybe that asthmatic processor in the Microserver isn't up to the job.

I always think it's best to keep your storage back-end well away from your playback front-end, not least for the noise of having a number of mechanical hard drives spinning away whilst you're trying to watch a movie. Even the noise of the single hard drive in our cable box is offputting enough.

Usual things though of checking that the audio output settings are correct, as per the sticky at the top of the Windows section...
I'd advise trying to use a NIC other than the one onboard the N54L (I have an N36L and everything's basically the same except for the CPU). Intel NICs are universally recommended for their stability and performance, and you can get a PCI-E x1 card to fit next to your video card for maybe $25. I personally haven't run into a throughput or random packet drop problems with the onboard NIC, but you can always try to determine throughput and TCP settings with a lot of different tools available and try to determine where things are going wrong in your network. I eliminate the network in my XBMC setup and play movies back locally with a GT520 card in my N36L running the XBMC Ubuntu distro and I don't have problems with stuttering or buffering.
Alright cool, thanks guys, I think im gonna try and have the XBMC library held on the server and stream using a windows 7 PC.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HP Proliant MicroServer N54L0