New HTPC based on haswell
(2013-07-06, 22:26)Shike Wrote: I have a silverstone grandia 06 that I'm putting the stuff into.

The CPU itself seems to be troublesome to get a hold of, we had 7 of em in sweden and I managed to get my hands on one of those, I'll be reporting back once the htpc is built and installed with xbmc Smile

hi, i would like to know if you have some problems with xbmc and intel video driver....i've read some topics regardings artifacts. best regards ;-)
(2013-09-09, 17:03)wizard84 Wrote:
(2013-07-06, 22:26)Shike Wrote: I have a silverstone grandia 06 that I'm putting the stuff into.

The CPU itself seems to be troublesome to get a hold of, we had 7 of em in sweden and I managed to get my hands on one of those, I'll be reporting back once the htpc is built and installed with xbmc Smile

hi, i would like to know if you have some problems with xbmc and intel video driver....i've read some topics regardings artifacts. best regards ;-)

Well, I would really recommend using linux in some form for a htpc based on haswell, my reason for this statement is quite simple, I had tons of problems getting things exactly right in windows 7 along with XBMC (the Inteldrivers arent perfected yet in my experience, some has gotten it to work proper but I cant get it to run perfectly for some reason, and yes, I had some artifacts in the XBMC-GUI while playing movies, I thought the picture was a tad choppy too, especially when compared to how it looks under linux). ubuntu Kernel 3.9+ with XBMC works flawlessly. XBMCbuntu 12.2 works well but suffers from black crush that I cant seem to fix unless I compile with a newer kernel than 3.5.x (which XBMCbuntu relies on atm).

Ubuntu 13.04 + XBMC works really well but I prefer a lightweight build so I'll settle with some crushed blacks until XBMCbuntu is updated to a newer kernel.
Shike,
Like you I also wanted to make a system with the new haswel chips because of their proper handling of 24p. And I wanted to make something as quiet as possible as didn't bother too much about cost (within reason), so I went with the new i5. I was to say the least very disappointed to find about the driver issues after I had built my system. There is bad artifacting,( see link http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170817) going on within the gui of xbmc and because of that started to wonder just how they where handling the display of my blu ray rips. In the end I ended up having to stick a dedicated GPU in to make things right. BTW I am running Win7 64. I hope this is sorted soon, but it seems to have been going on now for a while.
(2013-09-09, 20:49)mrhyde1969 Wrote: Shike,
Like you I also wanted to make a system with the new haswel chips because of their proper handling of 24p. And I wanted to make something as quiet as possible as didn't bother too much about cost (within reason), so I went with the new i5. I was to say the least very disappointed to find about the driver issues after I had built my system. There is bad artifacting,( see link http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=170817) going on within the gui of xbmc and because of that started to wonder just how they where handling the display of my blu ray rips. In the end I ended up having to stick a dedicated GPU in to make things right. BTW I am running Win7 64. I hope this is sorted soon, but it seems to have been going on now for a while.

You should really give XBMC under linux a try tbh, it is awesome in every way Smile ubuntu + xbmc for example work exceptionally well.
oh, no more crushed blacks now after an update to the kernel in xbmcbuntu Big Grin

I followed the instructions in this page for 32-bits.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Int...r_HD_Audio

If you have troubles in win with haswell, give xbmcbuntu a go, the remote can be a bitch to set up but once its done, its awesome.
the problem with xbmcubuntu is the 3d, intel intru 3d (haswell feature) is not compatible with linux for now, only windows 7/8...i have a TV with Active 3D and i don't understand if i could buy an haswell cpu like i5 4570T with only 35watt TDP and use it's 3d features....
ahh, I dont have any use for 3D at all so I didnt really think of that. Good point Smile
FYI for Haswell on Windows 7/8:

Graphics driver for Core i3 with HD4400 and Pentium (Haswell) is available only from motherboard manufacturers' site.

- 9.18.10.3165 (Intel Download Center) does not support Core i3 with HD4400 / Pentium (Haswell).
- 9.18.10.3186 (ASRock, ASUS, GIGABYTE websites) and 9.18.10.3215 (MSI website, this is the latest) support Core i3 with HD4400 / Pentium (Haswell).
Has anyone tried the new drivers dated Sept' 11 yet ??

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New HTPC based on haswell0