Intel G1610 and 1080p on OpenElec?
Hi, I'm building my htpc and I can't decide between Intel G1610 and AMD A4-5300...
I have a pc with A4-5300 and, running OpenElec, it can play any kind of video (even the 40Mbps 1080p birds scene), with both hw and sw decoding.
The Intel CPU is a bit more powerful, uses less energy under load, and is about 15/20€ cheaper (considering the motherboard)...but, can the IGP play 1080p and any other video smoothly on OpenElec?
Is the Celeron ok for playing blu-ray? Probably in the future I will buy a reader...

Thanks and sorry for any mistakes in my English Wink
No idea? Sad
I don't have real world experience yet... (currently building a Celeron G1610 based HTPC), but based off of everything I've read it should do all normal 2D files up to 1080P just fine.

If the Celeron 847 can do it, then surely the Celeron G1610 can do that and more.
The G530, G620, i3-2100 and Celeron 847 that I've built all work fine with 1080p and OpenELEC so I see no reason the G1610 would not. You also get HD audio bitstreaming support which the AMD will not have in OpenELEC.
Eventually I chose the AMD way...so I ordered the A4-5300 and an Asrock FM2A75 PRO4-M Smile
Bitstreaming is not my interest...and I decided to trust what I directly see. The pc with the A4-5300 played smoothly a 108Mbps 1080p video, running OpenElec and using the gpu (I know is not worth much...but it reassured me).
Maybe also with the G1610 I would not have had any problems, but for a small price difference (8€) I chose to play it safe Smile

Thanks Wink
Any modern GPU will play 1080p so it comes down to driver differences mostly. Whatever works, really. Enjoy!
Update:
After a few months of usage...I am very happy! Smile
My htpc is working great with Arch Linux and (obviously) xbmc Wink
The A4-5300 APU is great...I haven't found any video it can't play yet! It also has enough power for everyday usage and medium multitasking.

Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel G1610 and 1080p on OpenElec?0