Mac Mini vs Raspberry Pi
Hi Team,

I am currently running xbmc frodo on my mac mini mid 2010 connected to my qnap 469l NAS. It works fine but it gets rather hot in my closet. I was thinking about getting my first raspberry pi and running xbmc through it for the same purpose.

Does anyone have any recommendations on which one to go with. I'm not an expert with computer specs so any help would be appreciated.

Mac Mini = 2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo/2 GB DDR3 SDRAM (PC3-8500)/320 GB HD/SuperDrive/GeForce 320M/AirPort & Bluetooth Built-in ( I have upgraded to 8GB ram)

RPI = Raspberry Pi 512MB Model B

It would be nice to free up my mac mini for other ventures but I wont do so if its at the cost of quality.

Thanks
What is your temp measurements?

I would stick to the Mac Mini as most mac mini's run hot
The pi has less a quality problem and more a speed one. Streaming is flawless when running. However, menu navigation etc. is just too slow for some people. Also it doesn't have the processor power to handle formats that are not hardware supported through software decoding.
Having said that, if you have an Ethernet connection to your NAS and HDMI to your TV, then you will not find a cheaper or lower powered(read heat generating) solutionSmile
Stick with the Mac mini and get yourself a fan. You'll be glad you did.
thanks guys.
Just a short note on the RPi: I stream 1080p material over GigE on the RPi (XBMC via Openelec) and pressing right once (30 seconds step) takes about 20 seconds to resume the movie. When playing local content from the USB disk it's a bit faster, about 10 to 15 seconds.
(2013-07-11, 14:04)nilsbraden Wrote: Just a short note on the RPi: I stream 1080p material over GigE on the RPi (XBMC via Openelec) and pressing right once (30 seconds step) takes about 20 seconds to resume the movie. When playing local content from the USB disk it's a bit faster, about 10 to 15 seconds.

What distribution are you using?
I'd suggest you try latest rbej build.
For any indexed format (eg mkv) seeking takes less than a second for me. Even with 1080p.
(Wired nfs streaming).
It's like asking the difference between a Ferrari and a Prius. One's fast, powerful and expensive. The other is slow, weak and cheap.
They both eventually get you there one way or the other.
(2013-07-11, 21:00)popcornmix Wrote:
(2013-07-11, 14:04)nilsbraden Wrote: Just a short note on the RPi: I stream 1080p material over GigE on the RPi (XBMC via Openelec) and pressing right once (30 seconds step) takes about 20 seconds to resume the movie. When playing local content from the USB disk it's a bit faster, about 10 to 15 seconds.

What distribution are you using?
I'd suggest you try latest rbej build.
For any indexed format (eg mkv) seeking takes less than a second for me. Even with 1080p.
(Wired nfs streaming).

I agree with popcormix. Resume after step forward/back takes about 1 sec. I'm on last Raspbmc version, Wireless (!) connection to NAS via NFS, H264 encoded video with bitrate about 20Mbit/s. RPI is amazing box!
Sry for hijacking this thread... Wink

I switched to latest rbej-build (XBMC Gotham) as suggested. Movie is on USB device directly connected to the RPi and seeking 30 seconds forward/backward takes several seconds, though it is much faster than seeking over network. The USB-controller of my router seems to be quite slow, it provides max 6mb/s which technically should be enough but apparently isn't.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Mac Mini vs Raspberry Pi0