HTPC 3.5mm audio question...
I have been trying to find a solution to this problem for weeks. My current setup is simple: an HTPC running Windows 8 with XBMC and my Xbox 360 are plugged into an automatic HDMI switcher, such that my HTPC is always on and my projector simply switches over to the 360 when I turn it (the 360) on. My speakers are kind of lame, but it's a 2.1 PC speaker setup, so it connects with a 3.5mm jack, which I have to manually switch between the HTPC headphone jack and my 360's RCA cables (via an adapter) every time I switch inputs.

Now, it's very inconvenient to change over the speakers manually each time I change inputs because of my setup. I've been researching solutions, and it looks like I can feel fairly confident simply connecting both devices to a headphone splitter--using it backwards--as long as I can be sure that the devices don't play sounds at the same time, as that might overload my speakers.

Now my question: Is there some kind of device that I can use instead of a 3.5mm splitter that will automatically switch the way I need it to? Or, better yet, is there a setting in XBMC or Windows 8 that will automatically mute whatever speakers are connected when HDMI is disconnected?
You can use an A/V selector switch to toggle your input sources for your speakers. It can be as simple and inexpensive as the following:
http://www.amazon.com/3-Way-Switch-Selec...v+selector
Or you can go with models that have a remote control or ones that auto-sense the device that is currently outputting a signal.
I've seen those, but everything is currently using a 3.5mm jack. Should I just get adapters to change everything to RCA and then back?
Just use RCA to 3.5mm adapter cables.
Hmm... I might just do that. It would certainly be the cheapest option. Thanks for your help!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC 3.5mm audio question...0