Solved Technical Question about Shutdown from XBMC
Hi,

I have a quick question: How exactly does XBMC execute the shutdown - meaning: Which method is used by XBMC to shutdown the OS, in this case Windows?

I ask because I have a weird problem:
When I shutdown my Win8 machine from the normal system shutdown menu, I am unable to wake the system up using either WOL or Keyboard/USB-Input.
However - if I shutdown via XBMC everything is working fine. I can wake my system up, just as expected.
On Win7 this behaviour is not visible - I can shutdown from the system and still be able to wake via WOL or Keyboard/USB-Input.

I suspect this has something to do with the "fastboot" of Windows 8 - when XBMC shuts Win8 down, does it utilize the fastboot component?

Thanks in advance!
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

See win32util.cpp for the code. It does the hybrid shutdown (whatever that means):

if (g_sysinfo.IsWindowsVersionAtLeast(CSysInfo::WindowsVersionWin8))
uExitFlags = 0x00400000; /* EWX_HYBRID_SHUTDOWN */
return ExitWindowsEx(uExitFlags | EWX_SHUTDOWN | EWX_FORCE, SHTDN_REASON_MAJOR_OPERATINGSYSTEM | SHTDN_REASON_MINOR_UPGRADE | SHTDN_REASON_FLAG_PLANNED) == TRUE;
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
Ah - thanks for the feedback. That actually explains it (Hybrid Shutdown puts the PC in S4 - but because I disabled it on my Win7/Win8 machine, it always does a full shutdown).

For future reference:
After disabling the fastboot component of Win8 completely (I have a SSD, who cares about the alledged faster booting... Wink), I have no issues any longer - now I can wake the PC up as usual.
Need help? Check out my XBMC Frodo Guide. It contains full featured guides to Sickbeard and CouchPotato as well.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Technical Question about Shutdown from XBMC0