wlanapi.dll missing
Going to agree with Lothian here. Pretty pathetic coding requiring something like this for optional features. I would think about getting that resolved.
I have to agree, and i normally don't complain about the hard work of a free program.

But halting the program on something that's not used anyway is kind of stupid, and should not be a showstopper.

Quote:This is the hallmark of very poor, very lazy coding.
No its not, its a bug from unexpected behavior, as the dev's don't expect you to run XBMC/Kodi on a server version
(2015-01-16, 21:38)jackharvest Wrote: Going to agree with Lothian here. Pretty pathetic coding requiring something like this for optional features. I would think about getting that resolved.

(2015-01-24, 12:52)player-x Wrote: I have to agree, and i normally don't complain about the hard work of a free program.

But halting the program on something that's not used anyway is kind of sloppy, and should not be a showstopper.
Feel free to solve it
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
(2015-01-24, 12:56)Martijn Wrote: Feel free to solve it
Sorry but that's a stupid response, as you well know 99.9% of people coming on the forum with problem's don't have the skill's to do that.

As this is clearly a bug, if you would say, we are not going to spend time on something as most of the users dont run a server OS
So, wait a minute... I've got a custom HTPC box that is running Windows 8.1 with NO wireless card (direct Ethernet connection) and I removed all the wireless features when I made the Windows 8.1 install. I too am getting this wlanapi.dll error. Does this mean I have to go back and add a wireless adapter and services that consume resources on my HTPC box just to run Kodi for a feature I will never use? Seems kind of overbearing...
Agreed. This should not be there at all. What the developers need to do is remove the static link to the DLL and instead use LoadLibrary() to dynamically load it. If the library is found, then you proceed with the features supported by the DLL; otherwise you simply don't run those. By not linking to the DLL during compilation the problem goes away.
Hello guys, I am software tester and this kind of answere: Do it your self and do not bother is strange to me. I am poor at debugging but there is reall dependency on wlanapi.dll and it is not possible to ignor it.
It's opensource software and we do this for fun.
You cannot demand anything from us.
Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
so there is no fix?

i just can't use this software because i have server running?

any assistance regarding this?
@ "krohm"
"WiSo" already supplied a fix @ post #3
(2015-03-29, 12:49)k4sh1n Wrote: "WiSo" already supplied a fix @ post #3

so he did !

cheers, that worked : )
(2015-03-29, 12:49)k4sh1n Wrote: @ "krohm"
"WiSo" already supplied a fix @ post #3

Fix/bodge.
Wow the attitude of some people in hear is nuts...

You can't have that attitude when the software is free.

You report the problem and give all the info you are asked for, then you await a fix. Pretty simple concept.

Having that service installed and running is default in a standard windows install. It's only throwing the error because the service is stopped or uninstalled.
Found this after doing my first Kodi install (16.0 Jarvis) on a Server 2012 R2 box. Googled the error, found this, fixed in 30 seconds.

(2014-05-22, 18:39)lothian Wrote: This is the hallmark of very poor, very lazy coding.
Wow, all the free man hours poured into this project by talented devs who are incredibly generous with their time and this is the thanks they get? The only lazy person here is you, the issue bothers you so much yet you can't be arsed to write a fix for it? And "Fix it. Now." - really? You're a jerk.

(2015-01-16, 21:38)jackharvest Wrote: Pretty pathetic coding requiring something like this for optional features. I would think about getting that resolved.
Yes, because calling a group of volunteers' work pathetic is a great way to persuade them to look deeply into your reported issues :eyeroll:

(2015-01-24, 13:03)player-x Wrote:
(2015-01-24, 12:56)Martijn Wrote: Feel free to solve it
Sorry but that's a stupid response, as you well know 99.9% of people coming on the forum with problem's don't have the skill's to do that.

As this is clearly a bug, if you would say, we are not going to spend time on something as most of the users dont run a server OS
And here we get to the crux of the matter. You're all so clever you can point out the problem and how 'pathetic' and 'lazy' it is but in actual fact, you lack the cognitive function to solve the issue yourself. You are the embodyment of what is wrong with the internet forum community. Please get back under your respective bridges and stay there so the rest of us don't have to endure your toxic whining.

And returning to civility, this was indeed an easy fix and it isn't a massive problem but it would be cool if whoever maintains the installer could throw in a message box saying you need the "Wireless LAN Service" feature adding for Kodi to run. That's if you have the time and inclination. If not, screw it, it's not a big deal.

edit: just to add to that, now I see this post pop back to the top of the Windows section, I see it has 21,144 views - I think Kodi installations on Server OS's might be more common than previously estimated. I've only installed it on the server because it's a machine that's on 24/7 hosting all my media and it has an i7+SSD so is perfect for hosting the MySQL database for Kodi. Only problem is Kodi has no standalone library updater so I have to install Kodi on the server and the have a script which launches it a few times a day to update the library. I wonder how common that setup is....
Thanks! Post #3 worked great! Big Grin

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
wlanapi.dll missing2