Linux xmbcbuntu install failure
I'm trying to install XMBCbuntu on an older machine but I can't get it past the install screen. I can select "install on disk" or "run without installing" but then it goes to the screen with the 4 dots changing colors but no further. After a while the screen goes blank and when I hit the power button, a message appears saying something about closing "crypto" disks and other termination details.

This machine (from 2004) had been running dual boot Ubuntu 10.04/Windows XP. I want to install in the Ubuntu partition and keep XP for now.

System Specs:

P4 Prescott
1gb RAM
SATA HDD (Barracuda; probably at end of life; close to 10 years old)
Radeon 5450 (using vga out now)
IDE optical drive
New corsair psu

I had tried to install using a boot USB drive but I got similar (or worse) results than with the Live CD.

I'm wondering if it has something to do with the HDD? I thought it would automatically ask me to reformat the partition to install into.

Anyway, I can't get into the live disk. Maybe I should try out a minimal linux + XMBC?

Thanks for the help.

EDIT: I am using the Intel-AMD version of the latest xmbcbuntu
The AMD in Intel-AMD refers to the graphics, For Intel or NVIDIA graphics, use the Intel-NVIDIA version.
Could be the HDD, but if it already had Ubuntu then it was most likely already formatted ext which XBMCbuntu would just use as is.
Most likely a driver issue... Also worth trying another light buntu variant (I would personally recommend Xubuntu) and seeing how that goes.
Do you know if it is possible to install without first formatting the partition? Would the installer prompt me to select and format the partition or do I have to have it ready before i install?

I did try xubuntu on this machine a few months ago using a Live USB drive and it worked. Hmm, the newest addition to the machine is the gfx card. I'll try to install without that card.
(2013-08-16, 20:10)A_Niny_Maus Wrote: Do you know if it is possible to install without first formatting the partition?

I haven't installed XBMCbuntu personally, but I'm sure the process is pretty much identical to the buntu variants I have done. If it detects a valid formatted Ext4 partition it should just use it without formatting unless you tell it otherwise.

It may well be the gfx card, or it may just be that the Ubuntu release XBMCbuntu is based on is missing a valid driver for something else on your PC. Either way it's often a good idea to try a one based on a different release (e.g. XBMCbuntu is based on Lubuntu 12.04 I believe so it might be a good idea to try Xubuntu 12.10)
Ok, so I was able to install XMBCbuntu on an 8gb flash drive (temporary solution) and I was able to get into the XMBCbuntu. The XMBC did work for a while but not anymore. I must have changed something while I was figuring out how to install the video card.

So now my problem is that the system can't load up XMBC anymore. The problem is that it loads into the splash screen saying Frodo V12 then it goes to a screen with the blue background with a big triangle cursor and a regular cursor. Then it goes black with a big "X" cursor. And then it repeats all over again.

I'm not even sure how to get back into XMBCbuntu anymore.
sounds like a broken gfx driver.
and since you are using an AMD Gfx card: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?t=116996

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
xmbcbuntu install failure0