Nettop as HTPC. Need an advice.
Hi, All!

I'm tired of few weeks long reading/surfing and now need help:

I'm looking for a hettop with OpenELEC which can be used as an HTPC for my bedroom (plan to hide it behind a TV hanging on a wall). It should replace my old Xtreamer which is now useless because the remote is lost. The main task is to play SD/720 movies via Wi-Fi from NAS and 1080p movies from local USB drive. I think I need an optical drive. Current candidates are Lenovo q190 and ASUS EB1505.
1. Are they good enough for these tasks? Which one is better?
2. Are the quiet enough to be used in a bedroom? Which one is quieter? I've read q190 is loud. What's about ASUS?
3. How can I control them? I need a good remote which can switch the device on/off. Is it possible?
4. I know what wireless adapter in q190 doesn't work with Linux. Can I use a USB adapter from my Xtreamer?

Thank you very much!
Intel NUC.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Why? No Wi-Fi, no Optical Drive...
Q190 w/ lenovo's wireless keyboard. A Harmony remote with a RC6 ir receiver.
What do you want an optical drive for? You said you have all your media on hard drives.

I wouldn't rely on wifi.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-18, 21:38)vasia Wrote: Why? No Wi-Fi, no Optical Drive...

(2013-08-18, 22:17)nickr Wrote: What do you want an optical drive for? You said you have all your media on hard drives.

I wouldn't rely on wifi.

What he said Smile

if you're desperate for an optical drive. Get a slimline USB one for £20 off eBay
Look at this on eBay:

External USB DVD±RW Slimline Writer Burner Drive -UK

http://bit.ly/1eWesO5
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-08-18, 22:17)nickr Wrote: What do you want an optical drive for? You said you have all your media on hard drives.

I wouldn't rely on wifi.

I have a lot of musical DVDs and sometimes want to watch them. Internal drive is a little bit better than external (from the placement point of view).

As to wifi - it worked perfectly for SD and 720 videos on my old Xtreamer. And I have no UTP cables in my bedroom (just forgot about them during rep) so Wi-fi is a must.
(2013-08-19, 09:44)vasia Wrote:

I wouldn't rely on wifi.

I have a lot of musical DVDs and sometimes want to watch them. Internal drive is a little bit better than external (from the placement point of view).

As to wifi - it worked perfectly for SD and 720 videos on my old Xtreamer. And I have no UTP cables in my bedroom (just forgot about them during rep) so Wi-fi is a must.
Why? You have the option of powerline or moca.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-08-19, 09:53)nickr Wrote:
(2013-08-19, 09:44)vasia Wrote:

I wouldn't rely on wifi.

Why? You have the option of powerline or moca.

I know about powerline but haven't tested it. Not sure what it's a perfect solution. Anyway it extends the budget.
No it's not a perfect solution. But a helluva lot better than wifi.
BTW, I still see no real advantages of NUC over other Celeron based nettops (Lenovo, ASUS etc) in my case. Why do you think it's better?
The NUC is also available whit a Celeron.

You can buy a NUC motherboard.
You can buy a NUC barbones
You can buy a NUC complete
You can buy a NUC complete in after market fan less case

You can assemble a NUC for € 220,-- whit a Celeron
Finally I've got ASUS EB1505 and I'm really happy with it and OpenELEC 3.0.6
1. Any video files work perfectly including large (30 Gb) in 1080p
2. Can power on/off the device by included RC
3. Internal DVD drive
4. IPTV via Wi-Fi works excellent

It's not absolutely silent but quiet enough to be used in a bedroom. But I prefer to switch it off at nights.

So I think it's an excellent device to be used as HTPC.
That looks badass vasia love the design, and it looks perfect setup for your needs. Well done vasia

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Nettop as HTPC. Need an advice.0