HTPC Hardware Advice
Hi all, I'd like to thank everyone here for their helpful contributions, I've done hours of research and read many guides in my search to build a great HTPC. I'd love some advice/critiques on the hardware I've chosen so far to make sure I'm going in the right direction:

Zotac zbox ad04
ADATA Premier Pro SP900 64gb ssd
G.SKILL 4gb ram

Planning on running this on openelec, will connect my 1TB external hard drive via usb.

This will be for my living room tv, however I also wanted to see what options I had for my bedroom tv as well. Is there a multi-streaming option from the zbox? Should I set up a smaller system on a rasbpi for the bedroom tv? Ideally I'd have it using the same media library.

edit: I want to use the system for 720/1080 streaming, netflix, watching some streaming live sports via nhl gamecenter, some basic video game emulators. connecting via hdmi to samsung 5.1 bluray home theatre. thanks for your help!
(2013-09-09, 17:52)thernld Wrote: I've done hours of research and read many guides in my search to build a great HTPC.

Did you read the parts that said:

OpenElec only requires an 8Gb thumb drive (or SSD) - not 64Gb.
Nvidia works better with Linux
(2013-09-09, 18:00)joelbaby Wrote:
(2013-09-09, 17:52)thernld Wrote: I've done hours of research and read many guides in my search to build a great HTPC.

Did you read the parts that said:

OpenElec only requires an 8Gb thumb drive (or SSD) - not 64Gb.
Nvidia works better with Linux

wanted to leave myself some room in case I ended up using windows 7/8
Pretty sure you will be disappointed with the ad04 for your requirements. Netflix is mostly cpu driven and I'm not sure if the e-450 is powerful enough for HD. Will either have to go with celeron 847 or a desktop class processor.

Openelec does not do Netflix or have an adequate browser.
Netflix HD with Windows 7 on a Celeron 847 processor showed 85%-90% CPU usage. I tested with the movie Firefly.

E-350/450 is not powerful enough. Either is Atom. (From my own testing)

Pentium G3220 + ASUS H81I-PLUS should be considered as well.
I don't understand the choice for the AD04? That is introduced +20 months ago and there are lots of faster (and cheaper) alternatives, even from Zotac.
Kodi 19.1 Android/Google(TV) [ Shield TV Pro [64b] / Mi Box S [32b] / Mi Projector / Fire 4k TV stick / CC with Google TV ]
Kodi 19 [3D MVC build] Shuttle DH270 [Kaby Lake i3-7300/HD630 graphics - W10-1903]
(2013-09-09, 19:49)p750mmx Wrote: I don't understand the choice for the AD04? That is introduced +20 months ago and there are lots of faster (and cheaper) alternatives, even from Zotac.

I wanted something reliable that has been tested and reviewed thoroughly - it now seems the ID-41 or ID-81 would be my best bet.

Any ideas for a multi-streaming option for the second TV? Can a rasbpi be used on another TV to stream from the zotac or is that out of the question?
(2013-09-09, 21:33)thernld Wrote:
(2013-09-09, 19:49)p750mmx Wrote: I don't understand the choice for the AD04? That is introduced +20 months ago and there are lots of faster (and cheaper) alternatives, even from Zotac.

I wanted something reliable that has been tested and reviewed thoroughly - it now seems the ID-41 or ID-81 would be my best bet.

Any ideas for a multi-streaming option for the second TV? Can a rasbpi be used on another TV to stream from the zotac or is that out of the question?

You don't want the ID-41. Once again... CPU isnt strong enough for Netflix HD (I believe).

At those prices you might as well get a Roku for netflix and other streaming services ($50) and something cheap for Openelec.

It's not really worth paying the extra $100s for the strong CPU and Windows license.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC Hardware Advice0