How to hide password/user in debug logs?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
wgstarks Offline
Posting Freak
I recently posted a debug log to xbmclogs.com and had several people warn me that it contained my user name and password. I have not been able to find a way to delete the log from the website, and worse, I can't figure out where that password is stored in the log so that I can edit/delete it in future logs.

MacMini 5,2 HTPC (Isengard 15.1/Aeon Madnox/MacOSX 10.10.5)/Onkyo TXNR609/Panny65VT30
find quote
artrafael Offline
Team-XBMC Forum Moderator
The log is just a text file, so you can just open it with a text editor and mask (e.g., replace the characters with asterisks) your password and any other sensitive information before uploading it. The debug log file itself is located here: http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Log...d#Location
find quote
wgstarks Offline
Posting Freak
Thanks. I understand how to mask the password, I just can't find it. I was hoping someone could give me a rough idea of what section of the log it would be in or what code to look for.

MacMini 5,2 HTPC (Isengard 15.1/Aeon Madnox/MacOSX 10.10.5)/Onkyo TXNR609/Panny65VT30
find quote
artrafael Offline
Team-XBMC Forum Moderator
Use the text editor's search/find function and look for all occurrences of your username and/or password in the file? You can do a global search-and-replace.
(This post was last modified: 2013-09-11 21:41 by artrafael.)
find quote
wgstarks Offline
Posting Freak
Thanks. I really feel like a dummy. Spent nearly 2 hours going through the log for nothing when the software could have done it in a couple of seconds.Confused

What about the other question? Is there any way to delete posts to xbmclogs.com?

find quote
Martijn Offline
Team Kodi
(2013-09-12 21:01)wgstarks Wrote:  Thanks. I really feel like a dummy. Spent nearly 2 hours going through the log for nothing when the software could have done it in a couple of seconds.Confused

What about the other question? Is there any way to delete posts to xbmclogs.com?

They will be removed after a month.
Maybe contact site owner

Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting, read this first
Interested in seeing some YouTube videos about Kodi? Go here and subscribe
find quote
wgstarks Offline
Posting Freak
Thanks

find quote