Ceton InfiniTV 4
I'm about to order this. Is there anything better before I do? My dad wants me to record a ton of TV for my cousin before she leaves for her kids and I figure this is the best way to do it.
I said wut??
Just wondering if there is any better Tuner out there for this purpose.
Depends what your tv source is, what backend software you are using and what encryption your broadcaster uses.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-09-14, 00:43)nickr Wrote: Depends what your tv source is, what backend software you are using and what encryption your broadcaster uses.

I don't have a backend software choice at the moment my provider is FIOS though. Any advice?
FIOS will mean CableCard. Basically, you request a cablecard from Verizon, and they're required to give it to you, so that you can get TV channels via your own device. That card then goes into a tuner device, and you have them activate the card+device by calling them up on the phone.

There are two main cablecard devices that work with backend software that is XBMC-friendly:
• Ceton InfiniTV4 PCIe tuner, that goes inside a PC
• HDHomeRun Prime, which is a stand alone network device (and can provide LiveTV even without a backend set up, but a backend will be needed for recording)

With cablecard, some channels are marked "copy once", which means that only certain software can access it. Mainly, software that doesn't work with XBMC, due to DRM restrictions. However, from a quick google, it sounds like FIOS only flags premium channels as "copy once", like HBO, Showtime, etc. I don't know for sure, so you might want to double check before investing any purchases into this endeavor.

The PVR (wiki) pages should have some backend software marked that works with CableCard. I've had some problems getting TVHeadend working with an HDHomeRun Prime, and I got frustrated as heck trying to get MythTV to work, so I don't really have a strong recommendation.
Both devices work with mythtv. The mythtv mailing list provides good help.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Ceton InfiniTV 40