IOS XBMC output via hdmi
Hi so I have a jailbroken iphone, ipad & iPod touch but what I'm looking to do is use a lightning to hdmi cable to mirror xbmc onto my hd telly and was wondering what are the problems with this as a pose to buying a say pivos box/htpc etc

Also can you get 1080p output from xbmc or is it only 720p at the moment?

And does it get upscaled?
The newer Lightning to HDMI adapters are listed as "1080", but they currently only do something a little less than 1080, but more than 720. Apple could update iOS to enable 1080 in theory, but have not done so yet (possibly to maintain performance when using Mirroring on demanding apps/games). It does this because iOS actually re-encodes whatever it outputs, rather than a "raw" output, because the bandwidth over lightning is not as high as the old Dock-to-HDMI connector, and the Lightning-to-HDMI adapter actually has a small playback chip that actually plays it to the TV. (weird, eh?)

It still might not be a bad investment if the cost of lightning-to-HDMI adapters go down in price, but I think they're still about $50, which makes other devices a lot more attractive.
Ah right i see. That must be why them things are so expensive; whats it like over 30pins? Its possible to pick them up for under a tenner on fleabay haha

If it does work well I've found the ios xbmc to be pretty good even when using the xbmc remote so it would just be a case of how well.. I like the idea of portability whilst maintaining quality Smile
I've got one and it works very well. Most of my stuff is 720 anyways, so it looks great to me. XBMC for iOS is very stable and a joy to use on my iPad, so I can see this being something that a lot of people would want to do :)

Next month we should even be getting bluetooth navigation/control support, thanks to Memphiz! (for those times when you don't have a second phone/tablet).
Cheers for the reply-

Yeah that sounds good! I didn't know whether or not it would be the same kind of quality as a htpc or spivos etc but from what you said it sounds pretty good.. It just made me wonder that there must of been a provlem as bot many people seem to utilise this

Bluetooth would be a good addition definitely!

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
IOS XBMC output via hdmi0