My plan and some questions
Hey guys, this will be my first post on the forum! I've recently been looking into the wonderful world of htpcs and its really interesting me. I've got quite a few questions about what I've been planning for my new house when we move.
I plan on getting an intel nuc (I assume the celeron would be fine, or would it be better to get the i3)? I would then get 4gb of ram for it, and like a 30gb mSATA ssd. It would run something like openelec or xbmcbuntu.
to store all the movies and tv shows, I was thinking of getting a synology nas (2 drive version), and putting some WD 3TB reds in it. I'm not sure if I would do raid 1 or just no raid, I don't know if it is worth using a whole extra drive for backups, when we could be using it for more storage...

I was wondering if xbmc will be able to stream from a synology nas onto a linux OS. Also, what do you think of my plan? Are there better alternatives for cheaper? I also will be building a new rig for myself using the corsair 900D, which I could put a lot of harddrives in for media storage, but I'm not sure if I want to keep it turned on all of the time (which I could do with a nas). I've also got some of those white and red cables plugged into the separate speakers with the tv, is there any way to stream audio from a nuc and have it play on those speakers?

Oh yeah, when I build my new rig I won't really need my prebuild gateway PC, it has a i7 2600k and a gtx 420 (terrible gpu). The case it is in right now is the one it came with and I don't think it has much expandability with hard drives, but I could get another case for it I guess. Or would it be better to just sell the whole PC and spend the money on the other idea?

Sorry if I asked a lot of questions!

Thanks in advance
For the HTPC you only need i3 if you want full 3D compatibility otherways the celeron will be sufficient.

Why not use your current gateway pc as nas and use wake on lan when you need it. No need to spend money on a not expandable synology nas.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
My plan and some questions0