Broken XBMC after Kubuntu 12.04 Kernel Upgrade
Hi All,

I have been using XBMC for years now on Kubuntu, recently I have started facing issues with the XBMC, as moment I open up the application as it moves to full screen. The screen goes out of sync and turns blank. I'll give you a little background of the hardware:

Nvidia GTX 560 Graphics card
Samsung 40 inch LED TV
Nvidia 304 display driver (Not from xswat ppa, original drivers from a fresh install)
TV is connected through a Onkyo receiver using DVI to HDMI cable

As we all are aware that Nvidia for some moronic reasons have removed the Overscan compensation slider from the otherwise perfectly fine settings panel. I had to play with the mode line and adjust the screen to View Port out setting of 1820x1040+50+20 values. And there is a very thin strip on left and right of the screen remaining blank as I cannot fit the screen to exact by whatever mode lines I experiment with.

Now the moment I open XBMC its stays for a while till I see the home screen and it goes out of sync. Cant even check the logs as I cant switch over to other shells using Ctrl+Alt+F1 etc. keys and have to force reboot the system. Cant even see any XBMC crash logs. I even did a fresh install to try fix the issue. I doubt the latest kernel upgrade is the culprit, since then the issue has started happening.

Any help/insights will be appreciated.

Thanks,
Cybeh
the log will still be there after reboot.
Why don't you just disable overscan on your TV?
Hi,

Thanks for the reply, I disabled the overscan on my smart TV but the outcome was really bad, as brightness and color contrast was pathetic, but it helped me isolate the problem. Now am suspecting it might be the problem with the HDMI-DVI cable I have. Will be using the VGA cable to isolate the problem further. Dont have one lying around prolly will buy new one.

Thanks for the help.

Cybeh
Hi,

Still no luck, I checked the cables as well, the moment I start XBMC it goes out of sync and I cant switch to other shells and have to force reboot.

Is there a way I can log the crash details so that I can check after the force reboot to understand the problem.

Thanks,
Cybeh
I already told you that the log is still there after reboot. Every xbmc start the previous log will be moved to xbmc.old.log and a new one is created.
Thanks will check when I get back home in the evening. The log will be in the XBMC install directory? Can you please let me know the path to log file on Ubuntu.
~/,xbmc/temp/xbmc.log
Hi Guys,

I have finally nailed the problem and solved the issue. It was actually a hardware issue. I have been using power splitters from the SMPS to connect to the graphics card. Removed the splitters and connected directly. This fixed the problem, till now no issues and XBMC is working fine.

Will buy a new SMPS with more capacity. But in the process I learned a new thing of disabling Overscan on the TV lol.

Thankks,
Cybeh

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Broken XBMC after Kubuntu 12.04 Kernel Upgrade0