Advice needed - stick with current hardware? If so, what software?
Reason for asking;
Stability and reliability issues with current config. Would like advice about which would be the best OS & plugin combo to use.
As my HTPC is installed in the attic, I have limited physical access and stability is a high priority.

Scope;
XBMC frontend with twin DVB-S2 tuner back end.
An install that requires no user intervention during problems etc… something that doesn’t resemble a HTPC, but more like a STB device.
Full UK EPG with auto grabbing.
Auto channel & picon grabbing/sorting.
Chanel decrypting with my subscription (I don’t want advice on this, but it needs to be mentioned so you don’t recommend an incompatible solution).
Working record & timeshift on live TV.
BBC iPlayer, ITV, 4OD plugins.
And finally, if possible – stream from the DVB-S2 tuner to other XBMC devices in the house without disturbing the main setup (can this be done?).

My hardware;
Ok here is my current setup (WIP), which I haven't finished setting up fully so not tested it hard yet;
Case - Corsair Graphite 600T
PSU - Corsair CX500
Cooling - Corsair H100i
Motherboard - MSI Z77A-GD55
CPU - Intel i3 2120
Memory - Corsair 6gb XMS3 DDR3
HDD - Seagate 500gb SATA
Graphics - N/A (using onboard for now)
Tuner - Mystique SaTix S2 V3 Dual
Pulse-Eight USB – CEC Adapter
Philips Pronto TSU-9400
Philips Pronto RFX-9600

My current install;
Windows 7 Pro
EventGhost
LogMeIn
XBMC 12.2.0.0
Media Portal with TV server add on (to control the DVB-S2 card)
“Sky UK Grabber” plugin for Media Portal TV Server (to automatically import channel & EPG data)
“TVServerXBMC” plugin for Media Portal TV Server (to allow XBMC to use Media Portal)
MySQL server for the Media Portal TV Server channel & EPG listings
ACamd & Hadu to deal with the Live TV encryption

Current XBMC plugins installed;
BBC iPlayer
ITV Player
4OD (currently not working due to recent changes I believe)
Pulse CEC adaptor plugin
Media Portal plugin

Current issues;
The XBMC application often crashes & reverts back to the Windows desktop – this is a problem as we have no keyboard / mouse connected due to the physical location of the hardware.
This happens mostly whilst trying to use the Live TV functions, but other things also cause this to occur.
The CEC Adaptor sometimes stops working, and has to be deactivated/activated. This causes the XBMC application to crash.
I also find that the channel switching is very slow.

My query;
So I’ve been looking around recently for a better way of doing things, and wondered if the upcoming PrismCube Ruby would be a suitable solution as a replacement to my current hardware setup.
Or would I be better sticking with my hardware and concentrate on fine tuning the software setup?
If I were to stick at it, can anyone suggest what changes I would be best to make?

Many thanks,
Stu
I have seen some positive reports around recently about using WMC as the PVR backend and wonder if it would help some of your current issues.

Purely for selfish reasons though, as I am thinking of building my own PVR backend and would be interested in your findings to see if its worth returning to the dark side (windows)Devil
Confused I was hoping really to get away from Windows. If I can't find a suitable replacement that will do everything I ask, I will then reluctantly stick with it and try to iron out the issues.

I recently converted to using a Mac after probably 20 years of using Windows PC's at home and at work and the difference in reliability is astonishing. All these years I've followed the Windows crowd and poo-poo'd Mac, without trying it. It has totally changed my opinion about Windows, and I would prefer to avoid it where I can now. Anyway, that's a story for elsewhere....

Linux based solution would be ideal if possible.
Haven't seen an issue free PVR backend for XBMC yet, particularly channel switching time (critical on the Spouse Acceptance front).
Agree with you re Windows though. Switched to Linux at home a few years ago & won't switch back unless forced to by a very specific requirement.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Advice needed - stick with current hardware? If so, what software?0