SSD vs. Flash drive - Boot time on Openelec?
I just put together a NUC 847 Celeron running Openelec from a 16gb flash drive. It runs fine, but it seems to boot up slow. Will a 32gb SSD be substantially faster booting up than the flash drive?

Other than what I perceive as a slow boot, the NUC 847 runs movies great.

Thanks.
What do you pereive a slow boot? How long before you reach main screen after switching on.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

(2013-10-08, 06:59)jammyb Wrote: What do you pereive a slow boot? How long before you reach main screen after switching on.

I just timed it. It took 1:07 (1 minute and 7 seconds). This included the 4-5 seconds for the autoboot (not installation) option.

Is this normal?

Thanks.
(2013-10-08, 07:26)RemoGaggi Wrote:
(2013-10-08, 06:59)jammyb Wrote: What do you pereive a slow boot? How long before you reach main screen after switching on.

I just timed it. It took 1:07 (1 minute and 7 seconds). This included the 4-5 seconds for the autoboot (not installation) option.

Is this normal?

Thanks.

Are you running the Microsoft version of OE? Confused No, thats not normal. I just timed it on my machine (reboot), its 14sec from bios splash screen till xbmc being useable (I'm using aeon nox which has its own splash screen, without that it was 10-11 seconds). machine is a i5 with ssd.

Could just be a slow thumb drive? Still i would recommend a small ssd, 32gb is PLENTY for OE.
I'm running the Intel version of OE. I'll try it on another thumb drive to test.

Thanks.
On SSD it's between 14-17 seconds on Celeron NUC running oE with fast boot enabled.
Modded MK1 NUC - CLICK ----- NUC Wiki - CLICK

Bay Trail NUC FTW!

I've donated, have you?

Over a minute seems really slow for something with no moving parts. IT could be just a cheapy flash drive. You can download speed testing software free, like Crystal Disk Mark. That would at least confirm it for you.

But ya, try a different drive. I am running an SSD and that boots is probably 25 seconds using ubuntu+xbmc. It would be even faster with OE.

Ernie
25 secs for me with windows 7/8
15 with openelec

using samsung ssd
15-20 seconds here. Openelec with mechanical drive running on a AMD Athalon x4
Yes, it was the PNY Attache 16gb flash drive. I switched to a Patriot 16gb flash drive and it is a lot faster. Thanks for the help.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
SSD vs. Flash drive - Boot time on Openelec?0