Linux now available for RK3188 Quad-core Android
Ordered a RK3188 Quad-core Android from China in September some time which arrived yesterday. During that time I had hoped that Linux would be made available for it to install xbmc. Trying to avoid the price hike of a nettop.

anyway Iv found info that picuntu now available for this chip
Is this now viable for an xbmc install??Big Grin

http://liliputing.com/2013/09/picuntu-4-...chips.html
From the article:

Quote:there’s no support for hardware-accelerated graphics when you’re running PicUntu.

Until the VPU works on linux, I wouldn't count on being able to play any full-HD videos.
(2013-10-11, 02:05)forest Wrote: From the article:

Quote:there’s no support for hardware-accelerated graphics when you’re running PicUntu.

Until the VPU works on linux, I wouldn't count on being able to play any full-HD videos.

I agree. i was under the impression that only Amlogic is the best choice for linux arm devices.
(2013-10-11, 02:12)draztik Wrote:
(2013-10-11, 02:05)forest Wrote: From the article:

I agree. i was under the impression that only Amlogic is the best choice for linux arm devices.

Yes - with some hope of i.mx6 devices also being worth a look.
Sad 
dissapointing - Sad
stuck with android then

Believe that there is a new pivos coming at the end of the year that xbmc developers are working on in conjujnction with the company. Huh

(I havnt done any market research on this but if i was running a firm developing these devices it seems a no brainer that the primary focus should be linux and xbmc functionality in the cheapest most stable form. sureley once the word gets out of said device you have a winner on your hands.)Angel

Looks like a nettop then for me in meantimeUndecided
UPDATE

With a september monthly build of XBMC the android is running great

Have started to search again though to see if linux available yet
seems to be dual boot linux/android for mk802 IV.

though i do not know if it has the cpu grunt to manage xbmc gui??

[link]
https://plus.google.com/+IanMORRISON/posts/ZkJteqRsesr
[/link]

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Linux now available for RK3188 Quad-core Android0