• 2(current)
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)
(2013-10-29, 13:20)joelbaby Wrote: You just need to be aware that HDMI 1.4a supports UHD at 30Hz, not 60Hz. HDMI 2.0 is not available on many devices.
However, it should work out of the DisplayPort. Video content does not need to be played at 60fps.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theate...explained/

Hijacking a bit here......in general would it be best to go for a mini-HDMI (NUC) to HDMI (TV) connection? Or a mini-display port (NUC) to HDMI (TV) connection?
(2013-10-29, 15:11)Acrobat76 Wrote:
(2013-10-29, 13:20)joelbaby Wrote: You just need to be aware that HDMI 1.4a supports UHD at 30Hz, not 60Hz. HDMI 2.0 is not available on many devices.
However, it should work out of the DisplayPort. Video content does not need to be played at 60fps.
http://www.digitaltrends.com/home-theate...explained/

Hijacking a bit here......in general would it be best to go for a mini-HDMI (NUC) to HDMI (TV) connection? Or a mini-display port (NUC) to HDMI (TV) connection?

good question, i'd like to know this as well.. either way.. i'd need to buy new cable for miniHDMI/displayport to HDMI (just realised the new NUC doesn't have normal HDMI slot!)
If you want to use ARC (Audio Return Channel) on the NUC then use HDMI.
If you want to play 4K games at 60Hz, or connect to multiple displays then use DisplayPort.
If you don't really care, then use whatever is cheaper.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2030669/h...reme-.html
For me it's an easy decision, my AV Receiver supports HDMI only, thus i'm using a Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable from the NUC to the Receiver.
I ordered my (finally) today for €248,60 (D34010WYK). It should be available on Nov. 5th.
Does anyone know if the NUC can be powered on using a remote control?
the new Haswel Nucs do Smile
"Of course even if it were a little less handsome, the inclusion of a complete consumer IR (CIR) solution (i.e. the receiver sensor is also included) which supports wake from off (S5)/standby (S3) and discrete RC6 on/off codes it would still be quite natural to include the NUC."

From: http://missingremote.com/review/intel-nuc-kit-d54250wyk
(2013-10-29, 16:38)Camlann Wrote: For me it's an easy decision, my AV Receiver supports HDMI only, thus i'm using a Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable from the NUC to the Receiver.
I ordered my (finally) today for €248,60 (D34010WYK). It should be available on Nov. 5th.

Where did you order it from?
This sounds like the perfect HTPC then!
(2013-10-29, 17:45)mgmcube Wrote:
(2013-10-29, 16:38)Camlann Wrote: For me it's an easy decision, my AV Receiver supports HDMI only, thus i'm using a Mini HDMI to HDMI Cable from the NUC to the Receiver.

Where did you order it from?

From a local Retailer (http://shop.ba-computer.at/catalog/produ.../id/972170).
I ordered Ram +SSD from Amazon.
(2013-10-29, 18:15)zag Wrote: This sounds like the perfect HTPC then!

we all hope that it would be Wink
(2013-10-29, 17:06)zag Wrote: Does anyone know if the NUC can be powered on using a remote control?

It has IR CIR so the assumption is that yes it should.

(2013-10-29, 15:02)sheva7 Wrote: does anyone know if D34010WYK has been released or the availability date and how much it costs?

Amazon has it for pre-order but with no release date. I expect it should be available by end of next week. they are charging over the MSRP currently (MSRP is $280) but I expect within a couple of months these will be down to the $265 or so of the current generation.
Just wondering how much noise do these things make? Can the processor be undervolted?

Edit: Read the missingremote review, little bit buzzy but not noisy. No way to route the SATA/power outside, seems a missed opportunity for external blu-ray

Would make a nice replacement for my AMD, can't run that at load due to the heat given out (I am using a passive case)
Will there be passive cases for the NUC Haswell?

Can anyone confirm if the i3 is powerful enough for XBMC on Windows plus heavy skins (i.e. Nox) and some retro gaming (emulator stuff).?
thanks
(2013-10-29, 23:12)mattchapman Wrote: Will there be passive cases for the NUC Haswell?

Can anyone confirm if the i3 is powerful enough for XBMC on Windows plus heavy skins (i.e. Nox) and some retro gaming (emulator stuff).?
thanks

I have the last generation i3 Ivy Bridge and it can handle Nox and other intense skins with no problem. Can't advise on the gaming front.

I believe the only area where the new NUC will fall down is when it comes to the graphics being able to handle intense tasks like heavy MADVR settings under Windows for up-scaling of content. I don't run Windows so this is not a concern for me.

For those of you concerned about 4K, there really isn't any 4K content and there likely won't be any time soon (at least that you will be able to obtain legally). By the time 4K displays and source material are more common, you will be ready to replace this thing anyway or retire it to a non 4K location in your home.
  • 2(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Intel NUC - Haswell (4th Generation CPU)7