Win XBMC - What I have learned....or not ?
Tongue 
Hi All

My Setup

PC

Intel® Core™ i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz
Gigabyte H61M-S2PV
Nvidia GTX 650 - Latest Drivers GeForce R331 28/10/2013
8 Gb Ram
Windows 7 Pro 64 Bit

TV/AVR

LG BH7420P/LG 55LM760T

It started off quite sedately, I have a WD Live Hub use for all media purposes, but I decided to buy an HDMI cable and have a play. I have not lost ? 2 weeks messing about with XBMC in one way or another.

EDID Issues

I lost a lot of time messing with this, and obviously nothing to do with XBMC, and in fact I think I was just trying to play Mkv files from my collection via VLC or Media Player, but the main sticking point was only seeing 2 channels, and I read up about how you needed 8 to display in the sound settings to get HD audio. This was from either the XBMC wiki, or Nvidia forums and the likes. After messing with EDID reading apps, and trying to make my own, I came across a post that turned it all on its head, it basically said it CAN say only 2 Channels, this actually is Windows telling you the max channels it can pass uncompressed LPCM audio over. http://http://www.avsforum.com/t/1227161...5xxxs/2880 (I know this is for ATI cards, but its much the same scenario). So even if it does only say 2 Channels if like mine it says DTS/Dolby Digitial in the lower box, then you will get DTS in 5.1 via any passthrough method your media player
has.

This works fine for 5.1 Channels, even though you can read various forums that tell you different. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Win...udioEngine
IMPORTANT - For HD audio to work then Max Number of Channels must be reported as 8 if anything other than 8 is reported then HD audio will not work even if DTS-HD and TrueHD are listed in the Encoded Formats box. is not actually true.

This was after bookmarking 10's of pages on how to fix, so anyway, I started reading up on VLC/Media player, I then started messing with sound settings and eventually got my AVR to display DTS/AC3 and movies were playing fine via HDMI in a click in the PC Folder and then the file plays in VLC sort of way.

XBMC Audio
Now what I also lost a lot of time with was HDMI out audio for XBMC. The main part was having to set it up via my TV and being able to read web pages at the same time. This may sound stupid but when the only way to edit HDMI settings is with HDMI enabled, and the only way you can do that is via watching your TV, its hard going. I read up on the Wiki reference audio/video stuttering and this helped in a way, but it would have been nice to have a DONT stream or use any audio whilst I was setting things up in a way, as I has disabled the onboard sound, and removed realtek drivers just to take them out of the system, and only today really, have I worked out I can have HDMI audio out enabled and still use the PC to do this sort of stuff.

XBMC External Players
I eventually got external players working via Wikis and forums, so could play full 3D blurays. Another issue and obviously not XBMCs issue is once you setup your fancy graphics card to play 3D, it gives you the option of staying in a "cocked" 3D environment, so when PowerDVD does fire up after an ISO is mounted, it jumps into 3D straight away, this is fine unless you want to view 3D HSBS/OU, because since its already in a 3D mode, when you press 3D like you would normally do to select either 3D HSHS/OU then all it does is switch 3D off. So you need to go to a Resolution that does not have 3D enabled next to it, and then start a HSBS or OU and then select the 3D option that suits. A reason I went to Gotham Alphas....

XBMC 13 – Gotham
I messed up here in a way I thought, as I never read up on keeping my userdata folder, so had to start from scratch again. Not the end of the world, just select the folders one at a time and let the scraper do its stuff. Really liked the 3D side of things, with the option of what to select. But lost Aeon Nox, as I was not aware that people had lives and could not update themes every living minute.
So I uninstalled this and put Frodo back on, well things started going wrong here. It would never start up and I kept on getting a box with an error in it. Error : Unable to create application. Exiting.
Lost a lot of time here, for no real reason than me being stupid. By this point I had disabled the on-board sound, and HDMI output was at off. Spent ages trying to find answers to a problem I had created. If I had read the log it told me. FATAL: CApplication::Create: Failed to start the AudioEngine.. So the only option left for me was to either enable the Realtek onboard or do it via my TV, as I sad I have it sussed now how to have audio out and PC screen to on, but it was more wasted time, my fault of course, and again it would be nice if XBMC did start up even if it cant find any sound cards/outputs and maybe just give you a warning. All I wanted to do was setup my scraps and skin.

So back to Frodo again, this is when it really all went wrong yesterday. As I said I have Stereoscopic set up so I can watch 3D films on my TV. This was never an issue till last night. All I did was select use Fullscreen rather than Truescreen or the other way about, when my screen in XBMC went to this. http://http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=176289. Now this did fix it when switching off 3D stereoscopic to off in the Nvidia settings, but now I can't use 3D. So last night this morning, I played with settings, switched back and forth with Truescreen/Fullscreen on and off, changed resolutions. XBMC always showed up fine on my TV, but not on the PC, I just could not get rid of it apart from switching 3D off on the Nvidia side. Ah I thought lets stick Gotham back on, this morning, it has options to use 3D. Never made any difference. So back to Frodo, still the same. I just reinstalled my Graphics drivers again and it seems to have gone away, and I now have Gotham back on and will try the Aeon Nox GIT version to see if its workable. 3D options setup again in the Nvidia control panel, so go ficure.

Been interesting...I need to stop messing and watch a film now. But I just seem to get somewhere and its back to square one. Sad Biggest killer today was having the foresight to back up Userdata, Install Gotham and see all my movies again, once I overwrote the Userdata folder, but no all I get is the listing of File location folders under files, but its back to an empty Movies option and back to scraping everything again...arrgggggh ! Smile

Ah just worked out all I had to do was rescan and all the covers and info was back in place...happy days. Smile
(2013-10-31, 14:32)madjockxbmc Wrote: Image
This works fine for 5.1 Channels, even though you can read various forums that tell you different. http://wiki.xbmc.org/index.php?title=Win...udioEngine
IMPORTANT - For HD audio to work then Max Number of Channels must be reported as 8 if anything other than 8 is reported then HD audio will not work even if DTS-HD and TrueHD are listed in the Encoded Formats box. is not actually true.

Always good to get feedback.

On the audio side of things, the statement you refer to on the wiki (quoted from you above) is entirely correct, however you seem to have misunderstood the provided information, but perhaps that's because the information could be clearer on the points you raise.

The statement say's 8 channels are required for HD audio, this is only for Dolby TrueHD and DTS-HD MA as used on Blu-Rays. For plain Dolby Digital & DTS then as you rightly state 2 channels (as it's uncompressed PCM channels) is fine in order to get 5.1 (compressed encoded audio).

I'll revisit the information provided and see if I can make it any clearer.
Hi

Yes I suppose sometimes you see what you want to see, so you have a point.

I think the thing that messed me up, was the fact it just said 2 channels. and I wrongly assumed I needed more. I think the thing that did confuse me, was that I expected to get a 5.1 option when it said it could decode DTS, as in the other picture in the Wiki. It did surprise me that the audio I expected to get was in the EDID I was using as well, but it makes sense now sort of.

The more you read on some of these subjects, the more confused you get as well. I think I read a statement that basically said ignore what Windows says it can do, just set up passthrough in every application you use, and see what comes out the other end. This basically worked, well until I used DTS-HD on some files inside XMBC, this started the .m2ts/mkv files stuttering, which was resolved by me deselecting that my AVR was capable to handle DTS-HD, a fact I found in a wiki later on.

I am still not sure about what made my Menu suddenly go into 3D, and then I was stuck with it. It concerns me because the couple of threads I did read of a similar error and they said they deselected 3D Stereoscopic is fine, until you need 3D. As I said all working now, and may be an Nvidia issue, we will see.
The 5.1 compressed audio over a link that supports 2.0 uncompressed audio confuses a lot of people, so you're far from the 1st or alone on that.

I've written most of the audio on Windows guides that are around, but seem to missed making that clear, so thanks for the feedback and I'll seek to rectify that so it's clear you'll still get 5.1 for the compressed formats even when Windows shows 2 channels.

The 3D issue you describe is a Nvidia driver issue I believe, I've seen a few reports on here that it happens after a Nvidia driver update and that a setting in the Nvidia control panel needs to be turned off.
(2013-10-31, 17:15)jjd-uk Wrote: The 3D issue you describe is a Nvidia driver issue I believe, I've seen a few reports on here that it happens after a Nvidia driver update and that a setting in the Nvidia control panel needs to be turned off.

Ah, the trouble with that is you lose the 3D function of your card, because as soon as that is disabled you will have no 3D output. So that's why I am concerned, as they obviously did not have a 3D TV and it was not a concern.

As I said ok now, and was up to last night, all it took was me to select ...and it just happened again.

Pre button select from True to Fullscreen

After.

Luckily with Gotham, well I think its Gotham, but I can select back to Truescreen and it goes away, but never earlier in the day.
The Nvidia driver is clearly doing something as shown by that "This application is not rated by NVIDIS Corp"

Could you rollback to a previous driver version to see if it still occurs? as it might be a bug with the latest drivers.
From a quick Google, it seems like Nvidia 3DVision only works in fullscreen mode, which is why XBMC in windows mode is ok, when you go true fullscreen it must think XBMC is a game that supports 3D, why that is I don't know.

I think the "stereoscopic 3d mode" is only for games, so if you don't game on the htpc I think it should be ok to leave it off.
Ah ok, only just back on computer.

I think I have seen 3 threads and it's all the same.

Ok will give it a try at off, don't know why I thought I needed it for Movies, will have a play tonight.

Thanks for the info. Smile
mmm actually I think I need it to be enabled, as the Graphics card has to do the 3D encoding ?

Only way I could get 3D and the TV to notice there was 3D was enabling the Nvidia option.

Having read this

http://http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/3d...aq-uk.html

and go to The stereoscopic 3D hotkeys conflict with what I have setup in my game. How can I change them?. I see that Ctr+Alt+Insert that displays in the bottom corner, refers to mesages about compatibility. It says you can turn change the shortcut key, which never helped, what did help was using Ctrl+T which switched the effects off. It still crops up when changing between Fullscreen/True Fullscreen, so I guess it is what it is, I suppose the best thing is to leave it at True Full screen but that may be an issue with Externl Players, will find out later.

Found this in another forum, and it seems to be the same as me.

don't know if it's working already or not. I only know it with Nvidia cards, where you have to activate 3d-vision in driver settings, after that pdvd recognices a hdmi1.4 device as 3d-cabable tv.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC - What I have learned....or not ?0