• 21(current)
New Harmony Smart Control Remote
(2015-06-11, 07:58)Namoi Wrote: Last logitech update broke something when switching activities. Devices that should stay could turn off.
Maybe it's related, but if i remember i had the same issue before the update.
I don't use suspend for that reason anymore.
Do you use a IR dongle or BT ?

BT. It seems that it's sending a random BT signal after the fact when it shouldn't. It's not that big of a deal for me because I do have the suspend time set for 5 min and installed service.switchprofilewhenidle addon which is set to log out the last user. it's just slightly annoying.
OK, received a Smart today.

Two issues;

(1)
I have a Revo RL70 PC running Kodi (XBMC) Isengard, along with a HP RC6 media centre receiver plugged in. My activity works just fine with the device set as Microsoft Media Center Extender, however it lacks an awful lot of standard keyboard commands which I need for Kodi's operation. Everything I have read, including this very thread, says to add both Microsoft Media Center Extender AND MCE Keyboard devices to the activity. However any key presses assigned from the MCE Keyboard device simply do not work.

(2)
For reasons I won't explain, I NEED to run non-DHCP on my Virgin Superhub 2.0 and instead use static IP addresses on all of my devices. Upon setting up my new Smart control I soon realised that the iOS Harmony app wouldn't allow me to set a static IP, forcing me to select a wireless connection but not allowing me to go advanced and set a static IP.

I've managed to use DHCP temporarily for the sake of setting up my Smart, but have had to return to static IP's, thus making a big selling point of the Smart redundant, namely the ability to control your devices from your iPad/iPhone as well as from the remote itself.

I'm otherwise delighted with the remote itself, but likewise very angry and such a frankly, idiotic omission from what is advertised as a Smart remote.

Has anyone a workaround to connect, without having to use DHCP?

Can anyone offer any advice please?
1. I assume that you are not running kodi on Windows platform. Which platform do you run Kodi on?
2. In the contrary to your idea I find DHCP more appropriate and static IP would lead most of unexperienced users to lock them out when environment changes. I dont see a problem running DHCP with single IP DHCP pool set with static IP on DHCP for Smart Control only in your case. If you dont reveal your reasons, then this debate stops right here.
(2015-06-19, 08:23)Crssi Wrote: 1. I assume that you are not running kodi on Windows platform. Which platform do you run Kodi on?
2. In the contrary to your idea I find DHCP more appropriate and static IP would lead most of unexperienced users to lock them out when environment changes. I dont see a problem running DHCP with single IP DHCP pool set with static IP on DHCP for Smart Control only in your case. If you dont reveal your reasons, then this debate stops right here.

Thank you for your reply Crssi.

I am running on OpenELEC. I agree DHCP is the better method, but should also allow users the option.

The reason I never explained about why I don't run DHCP is not out of arrogance, rather than not complicate the thread. I have to use static IP in my home network as any form of DHCP crashes the entire network. I've tried replacing every component in the network, including cabling, routers and switchers. I've also paid commercial network engineers to come out and review, who cannot find the the fault either. Other than its DHCP related. Turning this off on my router and using only static IPs means the network runs without a single issue.
OK

Smartcontrol does send the right MCE Keyboard sequence but OpenElec (OE) does not know what to do with it.
On the other hand OE perfectly understands "Microsoft Media Center Extender".
So "MCE Keyboard" sequence must be handled by operating system, which will send appropriate keyboard button press to the keyborad buffer when it receives the "MCE Keyboard" sequence.
Under windows this works out-of-the-box.
Under other OS, it depends... so if it doesnt works, then you need to install "handler".

You must know, that I am using windows on, so I cant test this.
But take a look into the following two URLs:
http://kodi.wiki/view/Add-on:MCERemote
http://kodi.wiki/view/HOW-TO:Setup_an_MC...l_in_Linux

If this doesnt work, then google it with: "xbmc mce keyboard openelec" and "kodi mce keyboard openelec" or ask or search further on openelec forum.

As for DHCP problems. It is the problem unrelated with SmartControl and now you find unable to use static IP undesireably to workaround the bigger problem you really have with your network. But this problem will also arise sooner or later with some other devices you will use in the future. So you have to resolve your network problems at first place.
I have not read this trough, but looks like your problems: http://blog.bimajority.org/2014/09/05/th...e-my-week/

I would say that one (or more) networks nodes on your network does the crashing. Since you have replaced router and switch(es), one or more of the network node(s) (computers or othen network attached device(s)) is/are causing the problems.
Try to pinpoint which one does the crashing one by one. Turn on just must have nodes and monitor what happenes, then systematically turn others on with monitoring, if the problem arise to find the problematic one.
When you find the problematic node(s), update BIOS and NIC firmware for particular node(s) and lastly reinstall the network drivers with the latest. (BIOS and NIC firmware is essential here).

Let me know your results and happy hunting
cheers
(2015-06-19, 00:10)oHUTCHYo Wrote: OK, received a Smart today.

Two issues;

(1)
I have a Revo RL70 PC running Kodi (XBMC) Isengard, along with a HP RC6 media centre receiver plugged in. My activity works just fine with the device set as Microsoft Media Center Extender, however it lacks an awful lot of standard keyboard commands which I need for Kodi's operation. Everything I have read, including this very thread, says to add both Microsoft Media Center Extender AND MCE Keyboard devices to the activity. However any key presses assigned from the MCE Keyboard device simply do not work.

@oHUTCHYo

Maybe i can be of some help here.

Could you ssh this command ?

Code:
ir-keytable

And report it back.

To te others who are running on Openelec, if you want to get rid of the annoying lags which lead also to missed repeated keystroke (as for the volume -> it pops up one time, the re popup while you long press the volume button). As a bonus, it fixes also time it takes for teh volume to crank up or down.

You have to create an autostart.sh in your /storage/.config like so :

Code:
(
ir-keytable -p LIRC;
) &

Then you must copy 98-eventlircd.rules from /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/ to /usr/config/udev.rules.d

Finally edit this file and replace this line

Code:
RUN+="/usr/bin/ir-keytable --delay=1000 --device=$devnode"

by this one

Code:
RUN+="/usr/bin/ir-keytable --delay=500 --device=$devnode"

Reboot, and that should do it.

Indeed, the Smart Control has already a big delay due to the long press button feature, so the default Openelec (Kodibuntu ?) delay is much to high and it never catch a repeated keypress the first time.

EDIT: My system is a chromebox with a standard MCE IR dongle and the device i use in the harmony app is a "Media Center PC", but i don't think it matters anyway as the first is a PC, the second is seen by the system as a basic eHome Infrared device, and the third send MCE RC6 basic scancodes.
(2015-06-20, 13:50)Namoi Wrote:
(2015-06-19, 00:10)oHUTCHYo Wrote: OK, received a Smart today.

Two issues;

(1)

@oHUTCHYo

Maybe i can be of some help here.

Could you ssh this command ?

Code:
ir-keytable

And report it back.

To te others who are running on Openelec, if you want to get rid of the annoying lags which lead also to missed repeated keystroke (as for the volume -> it pops up one time, the re popup while you long press the volume button). As a bonus, it fixes also time it takes for teh volume to crank up or down.

You have to create an autostart.sh in your /storage/.config like so :

Code:
(
ir-keytable -p LIRC;
) &

Then you must copy 98-eventlircd.rules from /usr/lib/udev/rules.d/ to /usr/config/udev.rules.d

Finally edit this file and replace this line

Code:
RUN+="/usr/bin/ir-keytable --delay=1000 --device=$devnode"

by this one

Code:
RUN+="/usr/bin/ir-keytable --delay=500 --device=$devnode"

Reboot, and that should do it.

Indeed, the Smart Control has already a big delay due to the long press button feature, so the default Openelec (Kodibuntu ?) delay is much to high and it never catch a repeated keypress the first time.

EDIT: My system is a chromebox with a standard MCE IR dongle and the device i use in the harmony app is a "Media Center PC", but i don't think it matters anyway as the first is a PC, the second is seen by the system as a basic eHome Infrared device, and the third send MCE RC6 basic scancodes.

Thanks for your help Namoi. I apologise as I'm a noob with SSH/Linux etc, what's the best software to use to issue the SSH command?
I use MobaXterm. It's more convenient than Putty when you come from Windows IMHO.
Once installed click the session icon, choose ssh. The remote host will be the IP of your box, the user is root, the port 22 and the password (when asked) is openelec.
(2015-06-20, 17:54)Namoi Wrote: I use MobaXterm. It's more convenient than Putty when you come from Windows IMHO.
Once installed click the session icon, choose ssh. The remote host will be the IP of your box, the user is root, the port 22 and the password (when asked) is openelec.

Just used a free iPad app lol

Results:

"##############################################
# OpenELEC - The living room PC for everyone #
# ...... visit http://www.openelec.tv ...... #
##############################################

OpenELEC (official) Version: 5.95.2
OpenELEC:~ # ir-keytable
Found /sys/class/rc/rc0/ (/dev/input/event3) with:
Driver ite-cir, table rc-rc6-mce
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC RC-5-SZ SHARP XMP other
Enabled protocols: NEC RC-6
Name: ITE8713 CIR transceiver
bus: 25, vendor/product: 1283:0000, version: 0x0000
Repeat delay = 1000 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
Found /sys/class/rc/rc1/ (/dev/input/event6) with:
Driver mceusb, table rc-rc6-mce
Supported protocols: NEC RC-5 RC-6 JVC SONY SANYO LIRC RC-5-SZ SHARP XMP other
Enabled protocols: NEC RC-6
Name: Media Center Ed. eHome Infrared
bus: 3, vendor/product: 1934:5168, version: 0x0001
Repeat delay = 1000 ms, repeat period = 125 ms
OpenELEC:~ # "
Well, i think we can do it, but first, just to be sure of what you want :
Achieving to map the "c" (or any letters) key on saying the menu button (just an example) is what you want ?
(2015-06-20, 18:27)Namoi Wrote: Well, i think we can do it, but first, just to be sure of what you want :
Achieving to map the "c" (or any letters) key on saying the menu button (just an example) is what you want ?

Yes please, haven't quite decided specifics yet, but as you say, assigning a standard keyboard letter press to any given Harmony Smart button.

May I also ask, given you clearly are so clued up on this, everytime I wake my HTPC from sleep I have to reboot Kodi (well, technically reboot the HTPC) so it wakes my two NAS drives. Is it possible to map a reboot command to a remote control button too? I was thinking of assigning it to the big red record button on the remote, to make it wife friendly Smile Currently I just have a reboot command from the power menu on the front menu section of my chosen skin (Arctic Zephyr)
For the 2nd, i don't understand why you have to reboot the htpc when waking it up... if it was in suspend mode (look for power saving option in kodi settings), it will just....well wakes up ?

For the first, i just want to advertise that this solution is IMHO a litlle overkill for what you want to achieve. Editing remote.xml or even Lircmap.xml would be maybe easier.
Enven creating a Windows PC device under harmony and pair the remote via bluetooth would maybe works (the remote will be see as a keyboard, but i don't remmeber if the basic keys are available it the s***y harmony app).

The only way i think it would be usefull is if you use a keyboard in your htpc and are satisfied by the way it works and you don't want to bother to edit some xml files to mimic this to your remote.
Another important think too is : not all the keyboard keys will be mapable. I don't know why, and i searched a lot an explanation, but the way openelec/kodi works on that matter is absolutely cryptic.

Well my test showed that all the letters work, all the number, a lot of the basic keys like enter, backspace, some others too. But for example "home" works, but "end" will not be catched by Kodi even if the system send the correct mapping. Esc will not works too as all the F1, F2... keys. the .dot, the comma will works... I didn't tried them all so you will have to see for yourself.

Problem is right now is a little late here so it will have to wait for monday (can't do this tomorrow).
In the meantime what you can do is grab WinSCP and MobaXterm, install them and set them up.

What you could also do is check if all buttons of the remote actually send something by testing theme using these command :

Code:
Killall eventlircd
Ir-keytable -t

then press each of the remote button (ghort and long press) and see if scancodes are received for each button.
Ctrl-c to quit this and type reboot to reboot your box as your remote won't work anymore as you killed LIRC.

Have fun Wink
Well it will "kind of" works...
One of the very last update brings support for a few extra keys in BT mode : F1 to F12. Still not a full key table support (why god, why ??) but better than nothing if you miss some keys.

And a quick feedback after switching from IR (first with a harmony one then with a harmony ultimate without hub) to BT control : I'll never go back to IR control :-) No more annoyance with key latency / repeat :-)
(2015-06-22, 22:41)piteur Wrote: One of the very last update brings support for a few extra keys in BT mode : F1 to F12. Still not a full key table support (why god, why ??) but better than nothing if you miss some keys.

And a quick feedback after switching from IR (first with a harmony one then with a harmony ultimate without hub) to BT control : I'll never go back to IR control :-) No more annoyance with key latency / repeat :-)

I just set up a HSC for a friend yesterday, and there was no difference in key latency or repeat rate with IR vs BT on a ChromeBox - the only difference was that the BT keyboard was missing lots of functions, couldn't learn any that weren't pre-programmed, and had intermittent connectivity issues between the hub and the box. IR worked flawlessly OOTB, needing only one key remapped in the Harmony software (dvdmenu to menu button)
  • 21(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
New Harmony Smart Control Remote1