HTPC audio setup
I'm considering to buy some AV receiver for my HTPC setup. I want to run XBMC on Win7 on Lenovo T410s connected to AV Receiver via HDMI using Displayport to HDMI adapter. So far I've managed to obtain audio using such an adapter with Lenovo connected to Sharp Aquos LCD. However it seems video playback in XBMC (on AC3/DTS enabled videos) starts to stutter as soon as I choose in XBMC HDMI Audio output and AC3/DTS capable receiver. I must disable those capabilities for smooth playback. Indeed as I checked tv specs it doesn't support AC3/DTS. My question is if I buy AC3/DTS capable AV receiver (such as Yamaha RX-V373) will I be able to take full advantage of mentioned capabilities? Is capable AV receiver enough or Lenovos audio output will prevent such a setup to work in full glory? I'm concerned because of possible Displayport to HDMI adapter deficiencies and as I can see on Windows Settings for AudioEngine page it is important to have 8 channels supported on HDMI connection (soundcard?) for HD audio to work. As I've checked SHARP HDMI Intel Display Audio playback device supports only 2 channels and no encoded formats. If Sharp LCD is replaced by for example Yamaha RX-V373 will that change to 8 channels (+DTS/AC3 encoded format support etc.) or Intel Display Audio in T410s is not good enough?

XBMC (12.2 Git:20130502-32b1a5e), Platform: Windows 7 SP1 64-bit, build 7601. Built on May 2 2013 (compiler 1600)
Anybody using XMBC on laptop with Intel integrated audio (please describe what kind of) connected to AV receiver via HDMI/Displayport? Any insight if DTS/AC3 capabilities works when enabled?
In theory, it should work as you hope it will. You have to manually enable DTS/Dolby Digital modes for it to pass (and will probably have to reboot) but it is done all the time. There is no guarantee with your particular laptop unless you can find someone with your exact pc/os/xbmc version but I dont see why it wouldnt.

The stuttering you are seeing is to be expected when you enable the surround sounds on a device that cannot handle it (the TV).

Ernie
Thanks for the reply.
I know it might be difficult to find someone with exact pc/os version (xbmc version I can change as needed). However I can imagine that if somebody uses XBMC on laptop for HTPC chances are it contains Intel integrated audio. What I'd like to find out if there are any known supported/not supported integrated audio chips. Of course I'm mostly interested about the the results for the ones like in Lenovo T410s which is embedded in Intel QS57 chipset (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ThinkPad_T_Series).
And that's why I'd love to hear about the results for using XMBC on laptop with Intel integrated audio (what kind of) connected to AV receiver via HDMI/Displayport. Any success stories or even more important failures (why)?
Also I'd like to confirm if changing receiver (TV/AV receiver etc.) connected via HDMI/Displayport affects capabilities of Intel Display Audio playback device (see Windows Settings for AudioEngine page - http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=Windows_Sett...udioEngine) like number of channels and supported Encoded Formats.
In my case when connected to TV it showed only 2 channels and no supported Encoded Formats. Does it reflect the capabilities of connected device (as I believe) or is it limited by Intel integrated audio capabilities?

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
HTPC audio setup0