[XBMCbuntu] start and stop from the command line
I've just installed XBMCbuntu 12.2
What is the command to use to stop/start xbmc from either a script or SSH window

My aim is to stop xbmc on suspend and re-start it on resume so that xbmc will always resume from the home window rather than where it was left.
I managed to do this with dharma xbmclive install, but cant seem to work out the command on this newer version.

Any help is much appreciated.
stop service lightdm
Thanks for the quick reply.
I'll give that a go tomorrow, bed time now Smile
lightdm is the display manager. In xbmcbuntu it starts X and then starts XBMC - so stopping lightdm stops X and that certainly stops xbmc.

You may need to start lightdm again on resume using Uni's approach. That is simply
Code:
service start lightdm
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Ive managed to get this to work ....... with the following script in /etc/pm/sleep.d/
It originally was a script to stop and start lirc found here

Code:
case "${1}" in
        suspend|hibernate)

#/etc/init.d/lightdm stop
               service lightdm stop
                ;;
        resume|thaw)

service lightdm start
              #/etc/init.d/lightdm start
                ;;
esac

It seems to work fine. It will suspend the machine and when resumes goes straight to the home menu just as I want.
But.... its not very reliable, every 3 times ish can be 4 or can be twice. It doesnt restart on resume.

The OS is still running in the back ground as I can SSH into it .

Any idea's to what I'm doing wrong would be even more appreciated.......so close Smile
Instead of restarting xbmc, use a resume hook to send a json-rpc command to xbmc to return to the home screen. Instead of json-rpc you could also use the xbmc-send event client. I can post a example when I get home if you like.

Edit: here you go

http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=159467
Thanks I shall look into that tomorrow.
Sorted.
Now when I resume it takes me straight back to the home screen.
teeedubb gave me the idea, rather that stopping the service and then starting it again. I just used the restart command on resume.

for anyone intersested

Create a script at /etc/pm/sleep.d/90_re-lightdm
Code:
sudo nano  /etc/pm/sleep.d/90_re-lightdm

Code:
case "${1}" in
        suspend|hibernate)

;;
        resume|thaw)

service lightdm restart

;;
esac