Hardware Recommendation: Cable Card Tuner without PVR?
I'm sure I'm being stupid, and this has been asked a million times, but my meager searching in XBMC forum and google only seems to bring up outdated threads and guides.

I wanted to expand my current HTPCs (z77 ITX with Ivy bridge) and add a cable card capable Tuner. I don't plan on recording though, and I don't need to be able to tune more than one show at once. What I'm really looking for is a way to integrate the TV watching into XBMC (that's I've been using since XBMP days happily). I started investigating, and frankly I'm scared that I'm not up to the challenge here. I know this may be in the wrong forum, but maybe someone can direct me to the right place.

So, what I'm looking for:
-Cable card compatible Tuner
-HD capability
-?Cox cable (phoenix) compatible
-No need for PVR function
-No need for multiple simultaneous tuning
Cox cable uses "copy once" flags on all content except local stations. This means you must use a licensed player (ie. Windows Media Center) for viewing live TV or recording. Further, recordings can only be watched on the computer/device that made the original recording.

That was my situation in Tucson and assume it the same in Phoenix.

I returned my Cable Card and tuner and went with a Hauppauge Colossus and a STB from Cox. I have been happy with this setup.

Tommy
Thanks for the info, though as I noted, my goal is not DVR. I have plenty of bandwidth and a well oiled sickbeard/SABnzb setup for TV. Movies I tend to rip or get by other methods. So really I'm looking for the TVTuner aspect without the DVR aspect meaning much to me. Also, integrating it all into the same box with a PCI-E card would be my preference for cosmetics and simplicity.
I was merely giving you a complete answer of the limitations of Cablecard/Cox cable.

It doesn't matter if you use DVR functionality or not. The hardware is the same.
And the limitations are the same. Despite being a linux and mythtv fan from waybackwhen, it seems that the only way to do this presently is WMC backend with XBMC frontend.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Keeping in mind that you still have to use the WMC player itself for copy-once streams. There have been ways posted of switching back and forth between the two fairly easily. One was just posted a couple days ago using eventghost here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179351. If you look around a bit, I know there have been other methods used as well.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...
For copy-freely http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ml0g2l01zVM For Premium you need a DTCP-IP box like the PS3

Martin
(2013-12-04, 04:41)TechLife Wrote: Keeping in mind that you still have to use the WMC player itself for copy-once streams. There have been ways posted of switching back and forth between the two fairly easily. One was just posted a couple days ago using eventghost here: http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=179351. If you look around a bit, I know there have been other methods used as well.
So are you saying that the XBMC WMC PVR client cannot view encrypted recordings that are marked copy-once?

Kinda limits it's utility doesn't it?
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
Yes, but the only solution to that is $30,000 worth of licensing from M$. We aren't using the WMC player, we're using the XBMC player which does not support copy-once. I have Comcast. All of my channels are copy-freely except for HBO so it works great for me. I don't watch HBO anyway. If I wanted to, I would have to use the WMC player. Unfortunately, there just isn't anyway around it at this point.
The XBMC team, plug-in devs, skinners, etc. do this for us for FREE in their spare time because they want to. Think about that for a second before you start bitching...

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Hardware Recommendation: Cable Card Tuner without PVR?0