Three devices... One remote... Impossible?
I getting ready to upgrade my home entertainment system and one of my main goals is to have one remote that will control the three major components of the system; the TV, the receiver, and of course the HTPC. I can actually do this with my current setup using my Galaxy S4 with Yatse for the XBMC remote and one of the various IR applications to turn the TV on/off and control the basic receiver functionality, but that is not very intuitive.

The functionality that Yatse provides is awesome and I really only need two other things from a remote; turn the TV on/off and control the volume of the receiver.

What combination of hardware will allow me to achieve this goal? Will one of the Logitech Harmony remotes be enough to do everything for me?
A Harmony will certainly do it.

I agree yatse is great but I don't want to have to swipe my phone to unlock it every time I want to pause or go back to see something I missed. Also the S4 IR app is a little clumsy and requires a clumsy switch from yatse to the IR program.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-03, 07:17)nickr Wrote: Also the S4 IR app is a little clumsy and requires a clumsy switch from yatse to the IR program.

Yup, exactly. That is what I want to get away from Smile
go for the harmony then!

Ideally I would have an android tablet built into the armchair, which is instant on (at a touch, no swipe etc) which had an app like yatse which also did IR to the amp/TV.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge, click the 'thumbs up' button to give thanks :) (People with less than 20 posts won't see the "thumbs up" button.)
(2013-12-03, 07:49)nickr Wrote: go for the harmony then!

Ideally I would have an android tablet built into the armchair, which is instant on (at a touch, no swipe etc) which had an app like yatse which also did IR to the amp/TV.

Do you know if the Harmony remotes will support a long press of the OK button like Yatse? That is one of my complaints about the MCE remotes I have used, they don't support long press buttons so you don't get any additional context menus.
No you probably have to use another button for context.
The current harmony fw (well at least the harmony touch) support setting two functions for each button, one for press and one for long-press (e.g. skip and ffward via one button). So I suppose you should be able to set long press as a second function to the ok button (or set it as a right click to emulate long-press).
Cheap tablet with no lock (just press the screen to fire it up) and iRule or similar. But having a hard button remote is still nice for guests.
(2013-12-04, 07:11)hick Wrote: Cheap tablet with no lock (just press the screen to fire it up) and iRule or similar. But having a hard button remote is still nice for guests.

Tablet or phone with Yatse is great for XBMC, but as previously mentioned it is cumbersome to switch back and fourth between an Yatse and an IR app when you want to control your TV or A/V receiever.
Here is a nice mce/universal remote ( I´m still waiting for mine to arrive)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/New-HP-RC2285...OU:US:1120

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Three devices... One remote... Impossible?0