Solved Music Arist/Album counts don't match
In trying to fix a music library problem I've noticed that the count of Artists and also Albums as reported on the main menu bar in NOX don't match the counts that are displayed if I actually go into the Artist and Album lists. The counts reported on the main menu are somewhat lower for both. Interestingly, Songs counts match.

If this isn't a NOX issue, let me know.

Does anyone have any thoughts about what might be happening?

This is running on Frodo 12.2, Aeon NOX 4.0.9
Music db had quite a lot of work done. It would be interesting to see how this was on a Gotham nightly with a newly created database.
(2013-12-04, 20:53)Kib Wrote: Music db had quite a lot of work done. It would be interesting to see how this was on a Gotham nightly with a newly created database.

I'd be happy to give it a shot if I can get Gotham to load on my test system. Last time I tried there was a failure I didn't research.
Ok, not NOX problem. I've tested this both in Aeon NOX and Amber and results are the same.

Also tested both in Frodo 12.2 and Gotham XBMC 13.0-ALPHA11 Git:20131203-c436399 and results are the same there as well.
The Gotham is installed on a totally different machine than Frodo and the data base was built new.

The numbers reported to the main music menu level were: Artists 385 vs, actual 397, Albums 225 vs. actual 234. Of course Amber only lists the total Albums on its main menu level, but it also listed 225.

I'd try to move this to General support, but don't know if I can.

Let me know if there's anything else you'd like me to do.
Just a passing thought.....Could this have something to do with 'Various Artist" albums & their artists being treated differently?
I don't know, but I suppose possible. Only the guys who coded the numbers would probably have a clue.

BTW, forgot to mention this is on a Win 7 64bit system (both machines) fully patched.
I think this might in fact be as whitebelly said. AFAIK this is how xbmc handles music.

You have artist a - album a = 1 artist - 1 album
artist a - album b - 1 artist - 2 album
artist b - album a 2 = 2 artists - 3 albums
various artists - album a = 15 artists - 4 albums

hope my little "sketch" makes sense.

There is an option somewhere in the settings where you can turn compilation artists on and off, not sure if it will affect the number of artists/albums displayed though.
Thanks for the suggestions. I did some digging and found the "various" artists issue could explain the discrepancy on the artists count although I didn't care to spend all the time necessary to manually verify.

The Album count discrepancy is different. It turns out that the count listed on the main menu screen (for both Album and Artist) might be more correctly thought of as "unique Album names" rather than number of albums. The listing on the "Library - Music/Albums" screen actually lists each individual album found in the source. In my collection it turns out that there are 10 albums whose tag names are all "Greatest Hits". This accounts for the discrepancy of 9 albums betweent the two counts.

In the artists case since it seems the counts are all based on "track" artist tags; the listing on the "Library - Music/Artists" screen are unique track artist combinations. I suspect that the number on the main menu count may be based on non-duplicated artist names where "Diana Ross" for example may be only counted once, but on the track artist listings her name appears on multiple entries. As I don't have any clue how the artist names may be parsed out of the tags for the non-duplicated count, though, I don't have any good way of actually trying to duplicate the counts.

There are some similar types of apparent discrepancies in counts of video files depending on how the files are stored and named and if the "collections" option is on or off.

Thanks again, marking this as solved.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Music Arist/Album counts don't match0