in summary
now de stay out of each others har. i wont be posting again. if i find hosting i will rebrand and fork. you have successfully gotten rid of me.
How gracious.
Stop crying. People are trying to hand you an olive branch and responding with dignity. I'm sure your contribution in the past has been greatly appreciated by 1000's of user. Don't sour it.
For most users, spiff is just another developer. For those of us that come to the forum every day, spiff is the grumpy bastard developer with a corrosive sense of humor. Somehow that got lost and I really miss it.
I still remember the day I read please nuke my user. My immediate reaction was "Fuck! Some serious shit just hit the fan!"

Unless being completely in-love by XBMC counts, I don't have a dog in this fight. I do love XBMC, I do follow XBMC's development quite closely and I do recommend it to everyone I know. My concern is a selfish one: I fear this situation might evolve into an ffmpeg kind of situation. That would be disastrous.

I'm actually glad I've read this thread. Until today I only understood part of spiff's decision, mostly by reading bits and pieces, trying to make sense of it. I still don't fully understand it, but it's much clearer now.

I must say that something was lost when spiff decided to retire. I feel the forums aren't the same without his remarks, that XBMC's github isn't the same without is deep knowledge about XBMC's code, etc.

In short spiff, if there's someone I feel is irreplaceable as a coder, that's you. Jonathan's words say it all and I really hope you can reconcile with the rest of the team.

(2013-12-20, 09:42)ironic_monkey Wrote: when the gatekeepers are holding back the project, all alarms should go off not just mine. when bureacracy and procedures are more important than new features. when a free project is held back by proprietary platforms. this project has forgotten its roots. when people said it cant be done we proved them wrong. i still remember Jonathan disappearing for two months then showing up with an usb stack for the xbox just because impossible was unacceptable. when joakim runtime patched the kernel because .. some reason. if stuff like this happened today it would be shot down over details and cosmetics or drown in some uninformed opinion.

i saw this happen from the inside and i hate myself for not doing more to stop before it was too late. and it is too late.
I hope you still think impossible is unacceptable...

BR,
hudo
^ what he said +1
(2013-12-20, 13:04)Karnagious Wrote: How gracious.

You're not helping at all.

Spiff- Try again. 10 years of work is too much to walk away from. Take the high road and give them one more chance.
(2013-12-21, 01:56)TugboatBill Wrote:

Spiff- Try again. 10 years of work is too much to walk away from. Take the high road and give them one more chance.

And you are just repeating an effort what he has already snubbed multiple times.

I see a bunch of people being nice, and one guy refusing to even acknowledge their kind overtures.

It isnt me who has "successfully gotten rid of him" as he himself put it. That was addressed at everyone. Including you.
I don't understand.

A number of senior XBMC Devs are saying we DO want to go where your vision is, basically asking you to come back so they can help, and you don't want to take one second to step back and see the world from their point of view (which they have so clearly expressed in this thread), and believe in the words that these guys are so humbly saying?

I think it's clear that everyone wishes and wants you to be a part of the team. If you don't see that, there's nothing that can change that.

As someone has said previously, you're a great developer, and I honestly don't know if you also work for a company or not, but the truth is in work, as in life, great ideas aren't always immediately jumped on or accepted. Whether because the time isn't right yet, or people aren't ready for it yet.

One can't personalize that.

Honestly, take some time, read the feedback that you've gotten, and you'll realize that there is no altering motive here.... When people push for what you've worked on at a conference you weren't a part of, it's clear that the time has come.
(2013-12-21, 04:02)Karnagious Wrote:
(2013-12-21, 01:56)TugboatBill Wrote:

And you are just repeating an effort what he has already snubbed multiple times.

I see a bunch of people being nice, and one guy refusing to even acknowledge their kind overtures.

It isnt me who has "successfully gotten rid of him" as he himself put it. That was addressed at everyone. Including you.

Ahh. There it is - Add to ignore list. Much better now.
Yep, just go ahead and ignore me because I confronted you with reality. Isn't that the behaviour spiff was just complaining about?
DON'T MAKE ME TURN THIS CAR AROUND
Waits ...1 ...2 ...3 ...4 ...

** kicks the back of Ned's seat **
(2013-12-21, 06:02)Karnagious Wrote: Waits ...1 ...2 ...3 ...4 ...

** kicks the back of Ned's seat **

Man, please chill out a bit. Are you trying to throw gasoline on a fire we are trying to put out?

Many people including me were upset Spiff left, because he is a great coder. Him leaving is a loss to the entire XBMC project. He might not be the most loveable guy in the world, he still has legitimate reason to be mad.

You don't seem to have reason to be mad, so why do you behave like this?
Read my posts. I'm not mad or angry.

Clearly I was asking him to calm down and explain what his issue was, to turn his impotent rage into something productive, something constructive.

Which is why I described what his posts LOOKED like and why I said, "I think you need to contemplate what it is you want to achieve here."
Locking this thread because it doesn't accomplish anything for non-devs to fight with each other. Spiff, if you'd like to post anything else, I'd be happy to re-open. Just PM me.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
in summary0