extending gamepad input methods
requesting longpress support for buttons on the gamepad. possibly with support for a length var in miliseconds

for example change

x to
shortpress = select
longpress = play

or y
shortpress = enqueue
longpress = playlist window

power users could bind many unmapped functions easily without interfering with regular use.
this literally doubes the number of digital buttons on the gamepad.

now for a ambitious pipe dream :lol:
using the left joystick as an ipod clone style control. think of pushing the joystick out of <deadzone> as putting your finger on the ipod wheel, as you rotate the joystick around the outer edge it changes the seekbar position.

each degree is a specific amount of time (or % of time).
if you travel more than x degrees / second it changes into 'fast mode' or slowmode where each degrees is a much larger/smaller amount of time (or % of time)
as the user slows the movements become smaller.
if the user releases the joystick the seek is canceled and its dialog is no longer visible.

now on the ipod if you stop in a position for more than y seconds it seeks to that postition. the xbox controller has the advantage of 2 hand control. users could press 'x' when they wanted to seek to a postition.

the advantage of this method is that the user can fine tune their seek time and select exactly where to change play to. the current method of tapping can be cumbersome when seeking to specific times (tends to be inaccurate)

now this is really almost another request in itself.

if screenshots could be generated (perhaps from keyframes if faster) from the playing video in the background, a general idea of the current seek position could be displayed. these images could be cached after they are generated.

i have heard that mplayer can generate screenshots of specific times without issue. perhaps in the background these could be generated. i do not propose indexing every single video completely. index an image every 10 or 25 min on video start. for small increments an 'on demand' system would be the most efficient (and user friendly) with the nearest neighbour replacing the image until generation is triggered. this trigger is activated by leaving the seek position still while holding the stick on the outside edge of the joystick for 1.5-2 seconds . even if the ui/mplayer stopped while the image generation occured it would be fine. (the user is focused on the seek anyways)
these trigger generated images would also be used in the nearest neighbour system outlined above (so as you seek the images become more accurate)
if keyframe generation is no easier/faster the generation would only occur if there is no image as close as 3 - 5 min to limit the number of thumbs generated.

its a complicated request and if anyone were to take it on there is much to discuss.

i really do feel longpresses could expand the user experiance alot when using the gamepad and shouldnt be too complicated i wouldn't think.

if anyone is interested, have any other input ideas, or comments please contribute Smile

thanks
loto

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
extending gamepad input methods0