FM/Digital Radio with NextPVR
I've been really wanting to get FM radio or DAB+ radio in XBMC via my TV tuner, but it seems to not be a very popular thing, there isn't much info out there. On the few threads I found, people seemed to start recommending Internet Radio addons, etc, almost like they were confused by the concept/questions, and there wasn't a concrete answer that's current.

The closest thing was: people saying back in 2010 threads, to "check your PVR backend for the feature" and that "NextPVR has it built in, look in the list of addons", but as of the current release at least, I can't find the Radio Addon in the addons list at all.

I'm starting to feel like I'm the only one out there who's looking to set this up, I've been looking all day to no end.

So I guess I just want confirmation, can NextPVR still get REAL radio? and if not, how else can I get real radio in XBMC? I have the stand alone app that came with my tuner getting radio just fine, I just want it in XBMC.
I'd like this too. I haven't bothered getting a proper tuner yet since I don't know if it will work with any software or not.
(2014-01-06, 14:28)goformickey Wrote: So I guess I just want confirmation, can NextPVR still get REAL radio?
Yes, it'll work with FM radio, or radio channels on DVB/ATSC. It doesn't do DAB+.
Im in the UK and recieve all freeview and sattalite radio stations through my tuners with Nextpvr.
I was thinking about this myself but didn't found the time to try it.

For FM:
I don't know about Windows but on Linux it should be very easy to get this working With VDR and VDR IPTV Plugin.
The great thing about the IPTV plugin is that it is able to run an external script before opening the stream so you can use an external app to tune to the frequency, open the pcm file with an app that can create a network stream and then use the generated address in the IPTV plugin.
Edit: forgot to mention that the last time I've tried (was pre-Frodo PVR builds) the IPTV plugin didn't work with VNSI and XVDR plugins.

I'm pretty sure any RTL-SDR enabled device will work on Linux and also Instant FM Music RDX-155.
There is no limit for what you can do with a little bit of googling, you can find examples how to use the GPIO of the Raspberry Pi without any tuner to recieve FM.

For DAB+:
There're Realtek based DVB-T/T2 tuners that support also DAB+ but I'm not sure if this feature works on Linux or on the current PVR Backends on Windows.
On Linux in the wrost case scenario that no one of the DAB+ devices are usable you can still get a board like this, connect its output to your sound card line in port and again use VDR and the IPTV Plugin.

Currently I don't think I'll try to achieve this with VDR IPTV Plugin.
I think a nicer apporach would be to write a small PVR client and a backend that can be no more than a short python or bash script OR add this as a feature to Tvheadend (preferable after transcodding will mature as mp3 would be better for streaming than uncompressed pcm).

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
FM/Digital Radio with NextPVR0