Need help with first HTPC
Hello there.

I'd like to build my first HTPC with some nice storage (one SSD and and least 2 big HDDs).

For what:
- XBMC of course Smile (smooth Full HD video playback)
- file sharing (SMB/FTP)
- uTorrent
- occasionally playing CS:GO with medium details (for more demanding games I have better PC)
- Apache server, PostgreSQL and other low priority services for personal use

What I need:
- this HTPC will run 24/7 so it shouldn't consume a lot of power and should be pretty quiet when idle
- Windows 7
- pretty big case (one SSD, 2 x HDD's and probably some BR player in the future) which will be placed horizontally (can be wide, but not too high)
- Bluetooth, WiFi (IR optional)

WAF:
- Case must be pretty and simple without a lot of LEDs blinking around (it will be placed right under TV in living room)

I like Windows ☆ Build #5 but with some modifications:

CASE: Fractal Design Node 605 - 150$ (180$ in my country) - it is not cheap, but has high WAF. I'm open to other (and cheaper) cases.
PSU: Be-quiet Pure Power L8 350W (60$ in my country) - I've heard that they are pretty silent and I have trust in this company (but I'm open to other options).
CPU/GPU: Intel Core i3-3225 55W / Intel HD 4000 - 140$ (160$ in my country) - I think that it should be enough for my need. Am I right?
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-H77N-WIFI LGA 1155 USB3.0 SATA-III HDMI S/PDIF UEFI - 105$ (115$ in my country) - it is Mini ITX and since my case can handle ATX maybe there are some similar MOBOs with WiFi and Bluetooth in ATX format? (this one has only 2 x SATA3 and 2 x SATA2).
RAM: Crucial 4 GB DDR3-1600 (BLT4G3D1608DT1TX0CEU) - 64$ (55$ in my country) - I have one set in my PC and I like them. Or maybe something different and 2 x 2 GB?
SSD: ADATA XPG SX900 ASX900S3-64GM-C 2.5" 64GB - 90$ (80$ in my country) - anything better in similar price?
HDD: Western Digital Green 3TB 7200rpm 64MB cache SATA600 [WD30EZRX] - 120$ (135$ in my country) - anything better in similar price?

What CPU cooling will fit in this (or different) case to reduce noise?
What do you think about these components? Maybe some of them are simply way too good? What can be changed to reduce price?

I really appreciate your help, thanks.
If you want to play games I would get a dedicated gpu. Yes, CS:GO will run on an Intel HD 4000 with medium details but it won't be really smooth. See here: http://semiaccurate.com/2013/04/15/putti...-the-test/
On lowest details it's around 40fps.

Besides, I recommend using the Western Digital Red 3TB drive, it's better for 24/7.
Yeah, I know that it won't be really smooth - I have this GPU in laptop. If I need more fps, I can buy dedicated GPU in the future.
The most important is that dedicated server works fine there (and I think that dedicated GPU is not needed for that).
Hi,

1. Will you watch any of these?

- Anime Hi10P encoded films
- Frame packed 3D (this is basically raw 3D from Bluray with 2 frames sent at one time)
- 3D SBS (side by side). This is a common format for ripped 3D content. 2 pictures appear in 1 frame.

2. How will you connect to your sound system?

3. Can you do without a BluRay drive? (makes things much smaller).

4. Will wife prefer Infra Red remote?

5. How much storage capacity? You said 2HDD, but only put 1 in your build.
Hello, thank you for quick response.

- Anime Hi10P encoded films - nope
- Frame packed 3D (this is basically raw 3D from Bluray with 2 frames sent at one time) - I don't watch them right now, but who knows what will be the most popular format in 2 years?
- 3D SBS (side by side). This is a common format for ripped 3D content. 2 pictures appear in 1 frame. - Yes, I'm watching them and I will be

2. Sound system will be my next purchase. Right now HDMI goes directly to TV. I don't know yet how I will connect this to sound system - I'd like to have some options here.

3. For now, I can Smile

4. Honestly, I haven't chosen remote yet and type of it is neutral to my wife. But I'd like to have possibility of using it from other rooms.

5. Right now 1 x 3TB will be enough. In few months I'll buy another one or two so I want to have space for them.
Streacom's FC5 case would certainly fit your needs, but it's a bit of a price jump..

http://www.streacom.com/products/fc5-od-...s-chassis/
Bitcoin donations: 1Hvo9rWzhAVbuPrshgaGZaD7qcLFTCPuiv
[Skin] Pellucid
[Skin] Maximinimalism
Very pretty, but also expensive...
And not available in Poland (I'd rather order here).

Do you have some cheaper alternatives?
(2014-01-10, 14:49)joelbaby Wrote: Hi,

- Frame packed 3D (this is basically raw 3D from Bluray with 2 frames sent at one time)
- 3D SBS (side by side). This is a common format for ripped 3D content. 2 pictures appear in 1 frame.

joelbaby, did my answers tell you more and do you have something interesting to offer?
(2014-01-13, 11:39)szpula Wrote:
(2014-01-10, 14:49)joelbaby Wrote: Hi,

joelbaby, did my answers tell you more and do you have something interesting to offer?

I think you'll find that he will suggest a cheaper CPU (like a celeron, since you don't need hi10p or 3d), and since you don't have a sound system, worring about passing various audio codecs (DTS, DD, and their HD versions) is less of a concern. But since you want to use windows, and do other tasks, i'd stick with at least the i3. Maybe he was fishing to see if you should move UP to an i5.

If you can do without the bluray (forever) you can get a much smaller case. If you are going to rip all your BR discs and store them on the hdd anyway, and you can do this from your primary PC, then you don't need a BR drive under your TV.

If you don't need an IR remote, that makes it easier. Why wouldn't you need one? You'd probably be content using an XBMC app on a smartphone or tablet (which my wife still doesn't get, she needs to point a remote at the tv).

Regarding hdds, the green is the cheapest, lowest cost you can get. The only real benefit to getting a NAS/Red hdd in my opinion is the better warranty. Then you need to decide if you'd actually ever send the drive in for warranty repair, and if you'd use the drive once it comes back (however, if this happened with a red, it would still be worth more in resale since you would probably already have replaced it). Either way, get at least a 3TB. If this setup works for you, and you start thinking about building a server/NAS, you'll be glad you have larger drives for it Smile
Hi,

my answers are to approach what you are doing slightly differently, and many people might disagree with me:

For CPU - you could get a Haswell i3 or i5. This will have Intel HD4400 or HD5000 graphics and be a little faster for CS:GO
If you can live without BluRay discs, then just get an i3 NUC - D34010WYK as a media player. It has HD4400 built in, very power efficient and has IR sensor.

I don't think you should have a big box, especially for WAF.

I don't think you should put the hard disks inside the machine. Only have the Operating System drive in the machine. In the long term it will be better to separate your media files from your media player. This way you can upgrade your media player much more easily (or upgrade your storage). You can also have multiple media players all connected to the single storage.

If you must have BluRay discs, then find the smallest case you can find. Maybe e-i7 http://www.minicase.net/product_E-I7.html

For storage WD Green might be a problem if you ever want to upgrade to a NAS. Get WD Red instead so you can transfer to a NAS in the future. Greens spin down and cause NAS problems.

Instead of 3TB why not get 4TB? If there is no space inside machine, then put HDD inside a 3.5" drive cage, and plug it into PC or router via USB3. USB3 is fast. When you run out of space buy a second 4TB plus 2 or 4 bay NAS. When you have the NAS you will be able to run the torrents on this instead of the HTPC.

If you don't need 3TB for a few months, and 2TB is enough for movies and TV, then just put all the data on a WD MyPassport Ultra 2TB drive. Sell this drive to a friend when you run out of room, to pay for an upgrade to a bigger drive later. It is much easier to sell a portable USB drive (stuffed full of movies you forgot to delete) to a friend, than it is to sell a 3.5" internal hard drive if you run out of room.

A NUC + WD MyPassport will have exceptionally high WAF.

Great sound improves the enjoyment of a film immensely.

If you need a 'temporary' sound solution, with good WAF: Buy a Soundbar - which is something you can easily sell to someone else later. Avoid 'all-in-one' AV Receiver + speaker packages.

If you need a permanent solution get AV Receiver (e.g. Denon with built-in 'Audyssey' setup) + 5.1 speakers. The speakers will be difficult for WAF, but there are small speakers which are good depending on budget. Good speakers are something you can never spend too much time researching.

Sorry if my answer is not what you wanted. I think one megabox that does everything is a thing of the past and causes problems in the longer term both with upgrading and with resale. For serious games, then use your serious gaming PC (or a PS4, XBoxOne).
Hello.

Thank you very much for your long answer Smile

I agree with you that Haswell will be better solution - i3-4130 (with HD4400) is even cheaper than i3-3225.
Probably WD Red is a better idea too.

Unfortunately my wife doesn't like i3 NUC - D34010WYK nor e-i7, but she loves FRACTAL DESIGN NODE 605 (honestly, me too). For some reasons, I'd like to stay with this kind of case - I think that in my case is easier to upgrade in the future.

BTW, Denon with 5.1 were my first choice too Smile Fortunately speakers are not problem in my home Wink

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Need help with first HTPC0