• 18(current)
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes
(2015-08-18, 04:38)francois.e Wrote: All I want to do is to streaming films with kodi on my lg intelligent tv. I want a good quality price ratio. Will I be satisfied with the m8 like the Amlogic S802 Quad-Core Cortex-A9? Or do you know better for the price of 63$ US. Is it enough?
MINIX NEO X6 if you want everything to just work in a nicely integrated Android device out of the box. You are paying for properly sorted out Firmware with 23.076/59.94Hz video output + HEVC + more and after sales support with the extra $20 paid over the M8. IMHO, its worth it.

If feeling like a bit of DIY > I would have a good look at this thread and the following text:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=235191

- Don't limit yourself to just AMlogic S802 / H264 1080p playback when you can get 1080p HEVC playback on a S805 as well.
- A dual boot system running Android / OpenELEC, as described in the link I gave you is far more flexible than just running Android / Kodi on its own. OpenELEC is nice and quick on a properly sorted S805 system. A lot better for Kodi than running it on Android.
- get the cheap Amazon Fire TV Stick for 1080p HD paid streaming, like Netflix to compliment your AMlogic device. Otherwise you will be limited to 720x480p max resolution on these types of Apps. MINIX does not do HD Netflix either.

See my Signature below for a cheap S805 HEVC device that works well. Smile

Not that I am an expert (or even use Netflix at all) but I did notice these comments from one of the Minix Team Members which might be interesting / relevant for Kodi users here and might clear up some speculation regarding Netflix on Android:

http://www.minixforum.com/threads/netfli...post-59279

xbmcguru Wrote:Nah, this is old issue and Netflix and Hulu Plus stucked at SD only, issue is Minix dont want to get Widevine and Playready DRM....
MINIX - Ken Wrote:not true. widevine is always there.
it's not about DRM, they are not willing to start the discussion. I think it is simply because we are not big enough and we are not US based company, end of story.
MINIX - Ken Wrote:1.) You have made an assumption that DRM ready = Netflix can play at full HD/4k, which is completely false, they have a approved device list. We asked about how to get the approval, and the reply was: Until you could sell 2 millions units a year in USA then we shall start talking. (Please note these are not the exact words but that's the meaning). It's a chicken and egg story, without contents it's hard for us to reach that goal, whereas all the competitions in the States have them. It is never a fair ground for competitions. If there are any Netflix personnels watching this and do not agree with me, please feel free to contact me, we will try our bests to deliver the best Netflix viewing experience to our users if a chance is given.

2.) We have signed agreement with Google and are free to adopt Widevine DRM to our system, no matter L1 or L3, the Secure OS is built inside the Amlogic and new Rockchip SoCs and we may utilize it anytime we like.
If I have helped you or increased your knowledge please click the 'Thumb Up - Like' button to show me your appreciation :)
For YouTube questions see the official thread here.
Hi everyone, I did buy a Quad Core MXQ box from Ebay and I was quite disappointed with the results, the picture was rather choppy, the chip was a bit laggy and lacked the picture smoothness & sharpness on the TV that I got with my laptop (HP Pavilion G6, 2.53 GHz), when connected to the Ethernet port and output to TV via HDMI cable.

I like Android (but not fixated on it), because am used to it, I do need something that I can receive, plug the cables in and off we go, the last box I got was £ 30, I do think I need to spend more, but not as much as a Chromebox, else I may scour ebay for a cheap computer. Is a Raspberry Pi the way to go, I just want it to do work as a TV box, I won't be using it for anything else, perhaps stream some music through it, at most.

What would you recommend for me, I'd appreciate your advice.
Do a search over on the FreakTab website for alternative Firmware and then put OpenELEC/Kodi on the MXQ. OpenELEC/Kodi works really well on an AMlogic S805 device if you get the correct image.

http://freaktab.com/forum/tv-player-supp...8b-and-mxq
http://amlinux.ru/image/5.95.3/

Very good will do - is it easy to install OpenELEC, I'm kind of ok with computers, but if something went wrong, I know it would take ages for me to resolve.
It's horrendous that you can't get Netflix HD on these boxes. If I knew this, I would have not ordered it but settled for a PI 2 instead, oh and cancelled netflix.

If these firmwares are compiled from source and you have full control over all the code, can't you change the code to just fool Widevine into believing that it has a locked bootloader etc? Spoof the device ID or something like that? Or is it some challenge / response stuff going on so it's impossible to spoof?
(2015-09-08, 01:52)[Ad0] Wrote: It's horrendous that you can't get Netflix HD on these boxes. If I knew this, I would have not ordered it but settled for a PI 2 instead, oh and cancelled netflix.
Yep - annoying. Only a small number of 'Android' boxes are Netflix HD approved (Fire TV/Fire TV Stick, nVidia Shield, Google Nexus Player - I think).

It's one of the draws of a cheap Windows 8.1 with Bing/10 box (or tablet with HDMI out) - as the Netflix app in Windows runs HD (and you get AC3+ audio as well - unlike running in a browser)

Quote:If these firmwares are compiled from source and you have full control over all the code, can't you change the code to just fool Widevine into believing that it has a locked bootloader etc? Spoof the device ID or something like that? Or is it some challenge / response stuff going on so it's impossible to spoof?

I think it may be more than just Widevine - there's been lots of discussion about it here and elsewhere, though not all of it necessarily well informed.
new Wetek core 4k android box
http://wetekforums.com/vb5/forum/wetek-p...re-4k-news

It will be released in October

Here are the specs:
CPU: AMLogic S812-H 2GHz quad core
GPU: Mali-450MP Octo-core
ROM: 8GB NAND
RAM: 2GB
LAN: 1Gbit
Wlan: Broadcom AP6330 802.11 B/G/N 2.4 & 5 GHz
Bluetooth 4.0
RCU: RF + IR with Microphone for Google Voice
Power Adaptor for UK, USA and EU
First AMLogic device that supports Netflix in High Definition
WeTek Core support playback of 4K files, 8-bit H265 etc.
Software: Android 5.1.1 (loaded from Factory), optional software OpenELEC and many custom Android ROM's (Android TV, CyanogenMOD, AOKP, AOSP, Omega), Lubuntu Linux.
Rumor price of 109 EUR
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
AndroidPremiumPlayer blog - HI - Frequency Switcher 
3d iso? hd audio?
(2015-09-08, 11:14)Skank Wrote: 3d iso? hd audio?
good question ... weating answer , it's unofficial presentation Undecided

but... other S812 box not have Audio Hd and not 3d iso.

The big missing is 10 bit , not hardware support.
LG OLED 55E8 - M9702(oppo 203) -  Dinobot U5PVR(Enigma 2) - Meccol KI pro(COREelec) - Sony PS5
Even with the above 10-bit and 3D ISO stuff missing this will still steal a bunch of sales away from potential NVIDIA Shield owners if its priced at 109EUR / $120 USD.
why:

- Likely 4K H265 OpenELEC with 23.976/59.94Hz (Dynamic switchable) video playback on release.
- Dual boot with Android Lollipop / OpenELEC just like their current Wetek Play box can do.
- Excellent deinterlacing on the AMlogic family of SoC's
- Really good support from Wetek for this AMlogic box, especially if the ex AMlogic dev. Codesnake is involved.

- I would almost put a decent bet on HD Audio passthrough being made available by Wetek too.
The MINIX NEO X8-H Plus (AMlogic S812) already has HD Audio passthrough capabilities provided you pay Vidon for support.

(2015-09-08, 12:50)wrxtasy Wrote: Even with the above 10-bit and 3D ISO stuff missing this will still steal a bunch of sales away from potential NVIDIA Shield owners if its priced at 109EUR / $120 USD.
why:

- Likely 4K H265 OpenELEC with 23.976/59.94Hz (Dynamic switchable) video playback on release.
- Dual boot with Android Lollipop / OpenELEC just like their current Wetek Play box can do.
- Excellent deinterlacing on the AMlogic family of SoC's
- Really good support from Wetek for this AMlogic box, especially if the ex AMlogic dev. Codesnake is involved.

- I would almost put a decent bet on HD Audio passthrough being made available by Wetek too.
The MINIX NEO X8-H Plus (AMlogic S812) already has HD Audio passthrough capabilities provided you pay Vidon for support.

quote, i think it's good device for streaming , but:
- i think 2016 is 10-bit year: netflix Hd support 10-bit, Ultra blu ray support 10-bit...
- VP9 it's supportHuh

MINIX NEO X8-H Plus (AMlogic S812) not support very well HD Audio passthrough.

and

AMlogic have closed SDK only to vendor , it's no more public. Future support Huh custom romHuh
[/color]Hello Everyone,

I've been using xbmc/Kodi for the past 2-3 years on my windows laptop & iPhone and really like Kodi.
I'm really interested in getting an android box for the living room. I'm in uncharted waters and would really like some
suggestions and help in what would be a good choice.

I don't know anything about the android boxes and would really like to find something super fast.
Also love for it to have all the bells and whistles.

Best Always,
Jack
If you want the best box for Kodi use, you get one that can run OpenELEC / OSMC / Kodi.

If you want the fastest Android device with the greatest potential you buy the NVIDIA Shield. This cannot run OpenELEC / OSMC / Kodi.
If you want a device that can do both in a dual boot configuration then get something from the AMlogic S802/S805/S812 family, like the Wetek 4K Core.
MINIX also have their Neo X-8H Plus that runs Android well, with great support.

Don't buy a cheap Android box and expect top notch support. Android boxes need all the support they can get.

Personally I would wait for what Wetek are offering with their new box in October, this is the only AMlogic device that will do HD Netflix and give you dual boot OpenELEC / Android flexibility.

(2015-09-22, 14:18)wrxtasy Wrote: Personally I would wait for what Wetek are offering with their new box in October, this is the only AMlogic device that will do HD Netflix and give you dual boot OpenELEC / Android flexibility.

+1
Seems great for what you want.
I am still testing though, so opinion may change.

So far seems to be a nice box...
  • 18(current)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
The best Android XBMC / Kodi boxes2