File Stacking question...
ok, so i'm new to xbmc, but not new to xbmp. when i play a multi-file divx movie with ac3 sound, there is a very noticable pause (around 2-3 secs) between files while xbmc is loading the next file. is there anyway to either minimize this or get rid of it all together?

i'm no programmer, but it seems like some extra buffering would do the trick. so have a "play buffer" and have this buffer filled as needed and when the current file gets near the end, the buffer starts to get filled with the next file so that there is no noticable "pause" to the person watching the video screen.

in xbmp, i couldn't eliminate it, but by minimizing the cache, i could get it down to like 1/2 second. i couldn't find a cache setting in any xml file.

can someone please help and give me some guidence?

-beefcake
this is asked b4, so next time please search the forums

anyway. there's no way to get rid of the 2-3 secs pause
this would require pre-caching/opening/starting the 2nd file
before the 1st file has ended. this is impossible with current architecture. but maybe something we can look at in v2.0

oh and when you're not a programmer, then please dont try to tell me how this should be programmed, or thats its pretty easy 2 do/fix etc. you really have no idea how complicated simple things sometimes are

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
(beefcake @ mar. 01 2004,20:47 Wrote:i couldn't find a cache setting in any xml file.
this is under settings in the gui of xbmc (latest xbmc as very resently implemented), so not in any xml file
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.
ok, so no need for the hostility.

i am no programmer, but i am, however, a hardware designer. therefore, i do know how certain things may indeed work. yes, i offered what sounded like a simple solution, and yes, i understand that simple things are not always so simply implemented.

i apologize if i offended/made you angry in any way. the product you have created here is great. keep up the good work and try to stick to constructive critisism. personal attacks help no one, especially towards someone you don't know.

-beefcake
no flame was intended, sorry if it seemed that way
just get a lot of questions of ppl saying he, its simple why dont you do .....
most of the times if its simple or do-able, i or somebody else already did add it;-)

so sorry,

frodo
XBMC Project Founder (Retired), now head programmer of MediaPortal
no problem. thanks for responding.

justto let you know, this product is incredible. i would have never thought things like this would be possible on the xbox. i lreally liek the way the divx movies look when scaled up to 1080i.

keep up the fantastic work!

-beefcake
off topic, but just so you know:

currently in xbmc we are using a 1920x540 overlay for upscaled 1080i playback. this means that you may find you get a clearer picture in 720p which uses the full 720 lines of vertical resolution.

note that 1920x540>1280x720, so total resolution is still higher in 1080i mode. it depends on how good your display device is at rendering horizontal lines vs. vertical lines in the end.

cheers,
jonathan
Always read the XBMC online-manual, FAQ and search the forum before posting.
Do not e-mail XBMC-Team members directly asking for support. Read/follow the forum rules.
For troubleshooting and bug reporting please make sure you read this first.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
File Stacking question...0