Release - Sonos Addon

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
robwebset Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-02-02 12:21)badjas Wrote:  3 -There is a high latency when changing volume, i have seen this also when using socos myself via scripting, do you have any ideas where this comes from? It seems there are tools that do not have latency... I searched for this in the socos fora but did not find anything.. Do you also experience the latency, or is it just me?

Afraid not much can be done about the lag - it is better this way than earlier attempts I have made!

Rob

*** Latest Addon - Recap - Visual Reminder Of A TV Show ***

See all 14 of my Kodi Addons *** Here ***

find quote
badjas Offline
(2016-02-02 12:54)robwebset Wrote:  
(2016-02-02 12:21)badjas Wrote:  3 -There is a high latency when changing volume, i have seen this also when using socos myself via scripting, do you have any ideas where this comes from? It seems there are tools that do not have latency... I searched for this in the socos fora but did not find anything.. Do you also experience the latency, or is it just me?

Afraid not much can be done about the lag - it is better this way than earlier attempts I have made!

Rob

Many thanks for the volume changes you've made so far, i am actually using it pretty often now...
find quote
robwebset Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-02-02 13:47)badjas Wrote:  
(2016-02-02 12:54)robwebset Wrote:  

Rob

Many thanks for the volume changes you've made so far, i am actually using it pretty often now...

Hi badjas,

I see you've been posting in the google groups about the lag.

I've added a setting to the following beta that allows to to ramp up the frequency that the Sonos addon will check for volume changes:

<Now in official repo>

The setting is: "Status Checks Per Second (Restart Required)" but use carefully - it will increase background processing.

Please let me know if it improves your setup.

Rob

(This post was last modified: 2016-03-25 10:00 by robwebset.)
find quote
badjas Offline
(2016-02-16 23:30)robwebset Wrote:  The setting is: "Status Checks Per Second (Restart Required)" but use carefully - it will increase background processing.

Please let me know if it improves your setup.

Rob

Thanks for the follow-up Smile

I've tried your shared version today and there was no noticeable difference. I tried several values between 1 and 10.
find quote
robwebset Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-02-18 21:26)badjas Wrote:  Thanks for the follow-up Smile

I've tried your shared version today and there was no noticeable difference. I tried several values between 1 and 10.

I assume you restarted kodi after changing the setting each time?

If it's not improved the response time, then I don't think there is anything else that can be done

Rob

find quote
jratliff Offline
I just updated to Kodi 16 Jarvis and found out that they switched the volume control to the system volume and not the volume in Kodi. Since my Sonos was linked to Kodi volume it is no longer changing when I press my volume button and the system volume changes... is there a way to change this behavior in Kodi or a work around with the Sonos add on?

If not I'll uninstall and downgrade back to the Kodi 14 I was on, or try 15 first if it still works there. Thanks for any help!
(This post was last modified: 2016-02-28 22:51 by jratliff.)
find quote
robwebset Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-02-28 22:50)jratliff Wrote:  I just updated to Kodi 16 Jarvis and found out that they switched the volume control to the system volume and not the volume in Kodi. Since my Sonos was linked to Kodi volume it is no longer changing when I press my volume button and the system volume changes... is there a way to change this behavior in Kodi or a work around with the Sonos add on?

If not I'll uninstall and downgrade back to the Kodi 14 I was on, or try 15 first if it still works there. Thanks for any help!

Welcome to the forum! - First post, and it's on the Sonos thread! Angel

Then, you say that you're willing to go back to an earlier version just to keep the Sonos addon! - That's commitment!!

So you went straight from v14 to v16, if you did HAVE to roll it back, then v15.2 should be OK with the volume behavior.

However before you roll it back, maybe give the option: "Redirect Volume Controls To Sonos" a go:

Add-on:Sonos#Automation (wiki)

To get the best response time, maybe also crank "Status Checks Per Second" up as well.

Afraid there will be a little lag in volume change, I've never managed to solve that one.

Thanks

Rob

find quote
jratliff Offline
Thanks for the reply. I do love your Sonos add-on, thank you for making it! Kodi was working fine so I don't update very often on my primary TV, should have left it alone! This update messed up my video too. When I pause a show and hit play again the video is frozen unless you hit rewind or fast forward then hit play and it starts up again. So reverting hopefully fixes both.

My playbar is the audio for my TV and it is much more convenient using one remote and having the volume be reliably coordinated between the two! Definitely a deal breaker not to have it!

I had tried the redirect, it didn't work either. I'm on an android matricom g box q. I can't even edit the key map for the volume keys, it just pops up the android system volume bar when I push one now. I need to find where to request they make it an option to choose whether volume buttons control Kodi volume vs system volume.
find quote
badjas Offline
(2016-02-19 15:30)robwebset Wrote:  

If it's not improved the response time, then I don't think there is anything else that can be done

Rob

The strangest thing, while testing i observed the time between volume change steps, this seems the same.
However the first volume change arrives faster when i put the interval on 10.

So it does have an effect after all Smile
find quote
robwebset Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-03-03 21:14)badjas Wrote:  
(2016-02-19 15:30)robwebset Wrote:  

Rob

The strangest thing, while testing i observed the time between volume change steps, this seems the same.

Now that is useful information ... I may be able to do something with that Smile

Sit tight ... all going well, may be able to get something in the next few days!! Big Grin

Thanks

Rob

find quote
robwebset Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-03-03 22:55)robwebset Wrote:  
(2016-03-03 21:14)badjas Wrote:  
(2016-02-19 15:30)robwebset Wrote:  I assume you restarted kodi after changing the setting each time?

Rob

Now that is useful information ... I may be able to do something with that Smile

Sit tight ... all going well, may be able to get something in the next few days!! Big Grin

OK, here we go, another try to improve the response speed of volume changes, please can you give the following a go:

<Now in official repo>

Thanks

Rob

(This post was last modified: 2016-03-25 10:00 by robwebset.)
find quote
jratliff Offline
(2016-02-28 22:50)jratliff Wrote:  I just updated to Kodi 16 Jarvis and found out that they switched the volume control to the system volume and not the volume in Kodi. Since my Sonos was linked to Kodi volume it is no longer changing when I press my volume button and the system volume changes... is there a way to change this behavior in Kodi or a work around with the Sonos add on?

Rob I solved my problem! I found an android key mapper and used that to change the remote's volume buttons to simulate "F9" and "F10" keypresses which still change the actual Kodi volume. Then I remapped the page up and page down buttons to control the android volume if I ever need to change android system volume.

So now I can use the regular volume buttons again in Kodi and my Sonos follows suit!
find quote
awuksg Offline
I have Kodi (16.0 Jarvis) running on mac mini connected to Sonos playbar for audio.

I just tried configuring the sonos add-on to control sonos volume and it works fine when I don't use passthrough audio, but when I play a video with passthrough, it does not work.

I get the "Passthrough audio in use" message on the screen and does not pass any volume changes to the Sonos.

Is this expected?
find quote
robwebset Offline
Posting Freak
(2016-04-02 10:14)awuksg Wrote:  I have Kodi (16.0 Jarvis) running on mac mini connected to Sonos playbar for audio.

I just tried configuring the sonos add-on to control sonos volume and it works fine when I don't use passthrough audio, but when I play a video with passthrough, it does not work.

I get the "Passthrough audio in use" message on the screen and does not pass any volume changes to the Sonos.

Is this expected?

I guess you have enabled "Link Kodi Volume With Sonos Speaker" in which case - yes, unfortunately, when pass-through is enabled, there is not audio volume control within Kodi.

There is another way, and that is to use: "Redirect Volume Controls To Sonos" instead.

Hope that works OK for you.

Thanks
Rob

find quote
awuksg Offline
(2016-04-02 10:33)robwebset Wrote:  
(2016-04-02 10:14)awuksg Wrote:  I have Kodi (16.0 Jarvis) running on mac mini connected to Sonos playbar for audio.

Is this expected?

I guess you have enabled "Link Kodi Volume With Sonos Speaker" in which case - yes, unfortunately, when pass-through is enabled, there is not audio volume control within Kodi.

There is another way, and that is to use: "Redirect Volume Controls To Sonos" instead.

Hope that works OK for you.

Thanks
Rob

Hi Rob. Thanks for the very quick reply.

Yes, you are correct that I did have Link Kodi Volume selected.

I've tried switching to the redirect option and unfortunately that appears to have no effect at all. With that setting it seems that no volume changes are ever sent to the Sonos.
find quote