Linux XBMC video hangs randomly when skipping forward
Every now and then, when I skip forward in a video XBMC hangs. It is a random occurrence but it happens quite often: just skipping forward on a movie for a while will cause the problem usually. The problem occurs for any kind of file (I have seen it with mp4, avi, mkv, wmv), and it has been present ever since I started using XBMC which is around version 11.
The "hang" means that video stops, with the small indicator at the top usually saying "SEEKING" and sometimes moving to "PLAYING" still. But the image stands still. Often shards of sounds can still be heard, stuttering and with longer intervals.
Pressing keys on the remote do not show any action, but STOP works (usually after a long delay) - but after STOP I cannot play video anymore and XBMC's main screen does not show properly. The other button that works is POWEROFF, also taking one or two minutes.

The only way to make the thing usable again is:
- kill the xbmc.bin process and restart it, or
- restart the device.

While XBMC hangs the machine is accessible, the xbmc.bin process uses a lot of CPU and the log will show repeated events in a loop.

Configuration:

I am using OpenELEC version 3.2.4 on an Xtreamer Ultra2:
OpenELEC:~ # uname -a
Linux OpenELEC 3.10.20 #1 SMP Tue Nov 26 13:40:58 CET 2013 x86_64 GNU/Linux

Hardware info:
02:00.0 VGA compatible controller: NVIDIA Corporation GF119 [GeForce GT 520M] (rev a1)
smpboot: CPU0: Intel® Atom™ CPU D2700 @ 2.13GHz (fam: 06, model: 36, stepping: 01)

All video's are on an NFS share and played from there; the share is mounted inside xbmc using the "add sources" menu item. The box is connected to the network via WIFI but the problem occurs with cable too.

A log file which at the end shows the problem is here:
http://paste.ubuntu.com/6739258/

The problem occurs I think around 15:13:44, where the log reads:

Does anyone have any idea what causes this and (better) how it can be fixed?

Frits
It won't be fixed. Frodo development has ended.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok, I'll report it again as soon as Gotham is released.
If you could starting to test Gotham now, that would be better. Cause when gotham is final it's probably again too late.
First decide what functions / features you expect from a system. Then decide for the hardware. Don't waste your money on crap.
Ok, good plan. I will install a nightly on USB stick and play with that for a while. I'll let you know the results. Thanks ;-)

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC video hangs randomly when skipping forward0