Android Is hardware acceleration supported in MK808b?
HI Devs,

Is hardware acceleration supported in MK808b? It has a rockchip. I've been trying the Gotham Alpha Builds from v7 to v11 and none of them plays 1080p movies smoothly.

With alpha9, for example, it runs but it's not smooth. With alpha11 it's very very bumpy, you cannot even watch the movie like that.

I have Finless 2.0 ROM with Android 4.2.2.

I just want to know if this usb stick is/will be supported or not as I might buy a another one if this isn't.

I have a Finless ROM installed so it should have libstagefright, right? How do I know for sure that I have libstagefright on my system?

Thank you all
Verymau
I support the question.
It seems to me that HW acceleration is not supported well on MK808B.
I have Finless 2,1 ROM (Android 4.2.2) and with MediaCodec enabled I am able to see SD and 720p almost flawlessy.
Some 1080p they start well for some seconds (5 to 10) then they start to be reproduced in slow motion.
I tried also enabling listagefright, but it seems that something is broken in support for MK808b, because videos plays like slide-shows (audio is fine), then some seconds good then again slide show. The strange thing is that if I press O to see drop frames, it states 0. Other problems seeking the files, sometimes after rewinding or fast-forwarding video starts to reproduce with a lot of drops for some seconds, then it stabilize and go ahead fluently.
Anyone noted the same behaivour ?
There was a 1080 decoding bug with Rockchip devices, but newer firmware should fix that. Mk808B should be the RK3066, which has very good results with the latest nightlies.

I would check over at freaktab.com for updated firmware.
Thanks a lot for your reply Ned. Yes the mk808b has the rk3066 chip.

When you say that a newer firmware should fix that, what do you mean by newer? That was out 2 months ago? 5 months? If you could be so kind and point us to a newer firmware I would appreciate that very much.

From looking quickly in the internet, finless 2.1 ROM seems to be the latest one and it is some months old.

I'm fairly new to this android SoC world, but I believe we can install other ROMs other than the finless, right?

Also, one thing I forgot to say, if I use another video player like the eHomeMediaCenter that comes with the Finless ROM, the 1080p videos play good, no hiccups. Does this mean that it is still a firmware issue or a XBMC issue?

Thanks a lot for your help
To be honest, I'm still learning much of this myself :)

"Newer" just means it might need something newer than what is flashed to your device right now. A lot of devices will sit on a shelf for a long time, or a factory might not look for updated firmwares before flashing new units. Sometimes they flash the wrong firmware for the device (though I don't think that's the case here).

You can install various other ROMs, but do make sure that it is specific (or verified to work) on your device. Sometimes even small things, like a change of wifi chip used, can be an issue if the wrong ROM is flashed, but you can always flash it again if that happens.

Other players might be using some other method/library for hardware video playback, which is why some seem to work while others don't. I'm not sure on the specifics, but I believe MXPlayer uses the same method that XBMC uses, so that might be used to verify if it's the 1080 bug.
Hi Ned thanks for your reply.

I tried mx player and it plays 1080p videos really well with hardware acceleration.

With xbmc Gotham alpha 11, doesn't matter if I choose libstagefright or the other one(media codec?!?) it always stutters a lot.

Given the fact that 1080p videos play well on mx player and not on xbmc, can we say that the mk808b is not properly supported by xbmc?

What can I do to help with this?

Cheers
Finless 2.0 is really outdated. If you want a custom rom, you should use a 4.1.1. rom because there are no decent 4.2.2 custom roms at the moment. I suggest you should either flash the latest 4.2.2 stock rom or digitopMod XBMC edition (Android 4.1.1). Before flashing a 4.1.1. rom via CWM, you have to flash any 4.1.1 rom via flash tool in order to reformat your storage.
The only thing I can think of is to try another firmware. RK3066 does work with XBMC in other devices, so it's likely the 1080 firmware bug. I'm not sure how else to troubleshoot it other than trial and error :\

EDIT: or do what phinc says :)
(2014-01-21, 10:38)phinc Wrote: Finless 2.0 is really outdated. If you want a custom rom, you should use a 4.1.1. rom because there are no decent 4.2.2 custom roms at the moment. I suggest you should either flash the latest 4.2.2 stock rom or digitopMod XBMC edition (Android 4.1.1). Before flashing a 4.1.1. rom via CWM, you have to flash any 4.1.1 rom via flash tool in order to reformat your storage.

Hi phinc, thanks I'll try the digitopMod as I have heard of it before and was thinking of doing that anyway. Given the fact that I have 4.2.2(Finless 2.0), do I need to flash it to 4.1.1 via flash tool? Or can I go straight ahead and install the digitopMod?

If I have to go via flash tool first, where can I find it? still a n00b here Wink

Cheers
verymau
Yes, you have to flash a 4.1 rom first. Download finless 1.7 rom, flash tool and a detailed description is included in the package.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Is hardware acceleration supported in MK808b?0