Can't Auto-Start XBMC Frodo via Startup Items Folder
Question 
Please help. I'm using the latest version of XMBC (Frodo) on my HTPC running Windows 8.1.
I've made a shortcut of XBMC and copied it to my Startup Items folder because I want XBMC to launch automatically any time I boot my HTPC.

XBMC crashes on boot (as soon as the program tries to start at boot, windows shows a "XBMC has crashed, windows is checking for a cause . . ." but of coarse it doesn't find one.)

*** The funny thing is though, after I close out of the "XBMC has crashed" error message, I can manually start XBMC EVERY SINGLE TIME by clicking the link that's pinned to my Taskbar.
This processes is repeatable every single time.

It's a system w/a Athlon 64 X4 630 CPU, 4GB RAM, ATI Radeo HD 5450 video card, 6 3GB HDDs, 120GB SATA SSD boot drive with XBMC installed to it.
This system also serves as my file server.
I wouldn't think it's a hardware issue.
I've disabled a few Startup Items, the only ones remaining is my F-Secure antivirus service, and a couple of other things that shouldn't matter.

I've tried searching inside XBMC's options to start the program automatically when the PC boots, but wasn't able to find one.

Please Help!
Something is not loaded when XBMC executes, you need to put a delay in (say -5 or 10 sec) to give the O/S time to load libraries etc.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...ecific_FAQ

Upon booting, start XBMC with a delay

When starting XBMC on Windows startup it can be that some sub services weren't started when XBMC is up. To delay XBMC just add the parameter -d X (in the Target field after the closing quotation mark) to the shortcut's properties used to launch XBMC, with X equal to the startup delay in seconds.

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -d 10
I appreciate the response, however I tried this and it didn't work. I tried -d 10 then 20, 30, 60 & got the same result as before. Even tried -d -5.

Funny thing is, it's completely reproducable. Even if I don't try to have it auto launch from within the Startup Items folder (if i try to manually launch the program) it will always crash on 1st launch attempt. Then if I try to launch it a split second later, it will always launch the 2nd time no problem. I've never seen a Windows program behave like this.

(2014-01-20, 20:55)PatK Wrote: Something is not loaded when XBMC executes, you need to put a delay in (say -5 or 10 sec) to give the O/S time to load libraries etc.

http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=XBMC_for_Win...ecific_FAQ

Upon booting, start XBMC with a delay

When starting XBMC on Windows startup it can be that some sub services weren't started when XBMC is up. To delay XBMC just add the parameter -d X (in the Target field after the closing quotation mark) to the shortcut's properties used to launch XBMC, with X equal to the startup delay in seconds.

"C:\Program Files\XBMC\XBMC.exe" -d 10
If you want to fix the issue, you'll have to turn on debug post links to the crash log and debug, linked back to a message here. I take it, that the program crashes even after the O/S is up and operational, but the second attempt works? Might be a bad memory block allocation.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Can't Auto-Start XBMC Frodo via Startup Items Folder0