XBMC Crashes frequently on Apple TV 2
Hi All,

I have recently jailbroken my Apple TV 2 when untethered JB came for 5.3 (6.1.4). iOS release 6.1.4 (10B809)

XBMC was installed using nitoTV, so I guess it would have used apt-get method. It's Frodo 12.3 version.

The crashes happened in add-ons MashUp, TVonDESIZONE, SportsDevil in last few days

Since the crash comes randomly, I have not done the debug enable but providing useful info in the logs.

1. xbmc.old.log - since XBMC already restarted, so the old file when it crashed
http://pastebin.com/aXeL54Fm

2. syslog (since the file is big, pastebin does not take it)
https://app.box.com/s/8dzc5p0k0z2e7zo8ipoh

3. CrashReporter file
http://pastebin.com/5LVkSWu4

Thanks
l2r
bump

No one ?? Also, let me ask this. Does putting advanced.xml with some settings about video/cache avoid these crashes ??
bump.

Nobody has any idea why XBMC crashes Huh I am not the only one. I can see many people are having crash issues for various reasons on Apple TV 2.
bump.

last try. I also upgraded to nighly build, crashes continued.

Restored apple tv fresh 5.3 and jailbroken.. then install XBMC using apt-get. No NITO at all.

Still the crashes happen while playing streaming videos TV on DESIZONE, Mash UP, or any random add-on .. no matter what.

Please someone from XBMC development needs to look in to this
We need an add-on example that isn't using bootleg video content (which breaks our forum rules (wiki)). I've tried a few add-ons on my ATV2 using a nightly build (wiki) and I haven't had any major issues.
What it has to be with video contents. TV on desizone has lot of links coming from youtube, uploaded by original studios in youtube.

Once a video starts, it starts .... after playing for randomly 30 seconds or sometimes 20 mins, XBMC will suddenly crash.

see the problem. it all works without any problems on my Mac with same version of XBMC and same add-ons ... the iOS version seems to have problems.

Putting on the add-on is easy ... nobody looked at the logs .. 10 bullet point instruction on how many logs needed and all stuff on Wiki, but no one to read those.

just look at the logs and see what crashed the application completely .... maybe write a code that catches these exception and break the stream rather than crashing itself.

If it helps .... think that you may have a different iOS version than what I have ... May be that has something to do.

I am on iOS 5.3 build 10B809 .. Again , I spent time and provided all info I could.
Well i have looked into those logs some days ago already but didn' find time to answer yet. Those crash is not reproducable by me and the logs don't give a hint what really is the issue. Your syslog is full of crashlogs (each minute or so) - its not only related to XBMC. But i guess in your case this line might be the cause.

Code:
XBMC: UIApplicationDidReceiveMemoryWarningNotification

This means that something is eating up your memory (and the poor atv2 only has 256mb). So it is either XBMC, or the addon itself or something outside of XBMC.

Quote:just look at the logs and see what crashed the application completely .... maybe write a code that catches these exception and break the stream rather than crashing itself.

Are you living in dreamland? Why do you think software developers get paid 300$ an hour? Just for doing something easy as you propose here? Just have a look at this crashreport on your own and try to imagine how much of usefull information is in there. Yep nearly no usefull information. Nevertheless it is important for us to gather as much logs as possible (and you posted same all) - even if in some cases it doesn't lead to a solution.

Well go on complaining - i can't help you.

bye
AppleTV4/iPhone/iPod/iPad: HowTo find debug logs and everything else which the devs like so much: click here
HowTo setup NFS for Kodi: NFS (wiki)
HowTo configure avahi (zeroconf): Avahi_Zeroconf (wiki)
READ THE IOS FAQ!: iOS FAQ (wiki)
Hi Memphiz,

thanks for the insight. Here is the thing.

Based on the information in FAQ, I gathered logs. I do not know what they contain in all crash dump details. because I am not core developer, but have a sense of logic. I know it's not easy to debug. xbmc.log did not contain anything useful so I thought crashreport should have more info why it crashed.

Looking at your memory issue pointer, I did a complete restore of Apple TV via Seas0npass and installed XBMC 12.3 fresh. and just kept 2-3 add-ons which I have been using for many years.

Add-ons fail to fetch data sometimes, hangs and all is very common, but never had an issue that XBMC is crashing. XBMC is like an environment shell for all add-ons to work on, it some takes the complete environment down with it, then it's the environment where it can be fixed.

Just 2-3 add-ons. System info shows memory usage about 58% and it is very common on ATV2 because of 256MB size.

Can I do something about this myself, of course not. But if the issue is consistent, then there must be something. Only experts can see it clear.

Is it possible that if a 1080p video file played on the Apple TV 2 (which has 720p) can create a problem of crashing like this ??

Thanks
l2r

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
XBMC Crashes frequently on Apple TV 20