Changes to de-interlacing defaults
Current situation:

Deinterlacing is off by default for all videos. It is also possible to force it which breaks every non-interlaced video.

Proposed changes:
  • After selecting the "On" option a pop-up would appear when closing the video settings dialog asking the user if he really wants to force it.
  • The default would change to "Auto" if Live TV is enabled. Virtually all non-HD live TV is interlaced so keeping de-interlacing off seriously degrades the out-of-the-box user experience. Possibly an exception could be made for certain platforms when it is certain that it can't handle de-interlacing properly.
If anything make the default auto which resolves it, there is no need to remove anything. Big Grin
I guess you're right, there was a user in another thread who said he had some channels that needed de-interlacing to be turned on manually. I updated the original proposition.
Yea, not everyone has same platform, not every platform/gpus handle deinterlacing well or at all, xbmc is running on a multitude of hardware, it would make sense the same way the general settings are going to have sane defaults set, audio has taken great leaps in this department. Now with the settings levels and whatnot they can also be set per platform.

In any case only case only devs of these platforms would know and it would take some interested devs to make any changes like this. I agree that auto for e.g nvidia is best but everywhere else idk.
It would be sad to see yet another feature (a default option in this case) ruined by the $10 miracle devices people think they can run XBMC satisfactorily (is that even a word?) on. It's the same with parts of the UX - everything must be possible with a shitty ass remote. While I totally get that some compromise needs to be made I think defaults need to be revisited from time to time so they don't stagnate.
What I was saying is, currently in Gotham you can have different defaults per platform, . so one shouldn't influence the other.

See https://github.com/xbmc/xbmc/tree/master...m/settings

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Changes to de-interlacing defaults0