Linux Remote control hell to heaven?
Guys,

I've been screwing around with numerous traditional IR remotes, trying to get them to work with XBMC and the native kernel drivers.

The challenge, unless anyway can advise better, has been an infamous bug/issue with X in only supporting a single byte for keys and thus most typical remotes seem to lose the use of any key above 255 in XBMC.

Whilst there are a number of work arounds for this, I've gone for the simpler way to remap the scan codes to key pressed on a keyboard.

However this is limited when wanting to do something a little more advanced and is an itch I'm dying to scratch/fix.

Q. Do universal remotes suffer the same single byte issue or will I, using the new remote.xml setup, be able to map all the keys to functions within XBMC?

Many thanks!
Bump, any help much appreciated!
I have no problems with the cheap hama mce remote.
(2014-02-03, 15:56)CaptainPsycho Wrote: I have no problems with the cheap hama mce remote.

Assume it's infra red and using the native kernel drivers (ir-keytable)?

Do you have buttons for EPG that work (I.e beyond arrows and numbers)?

Have you maybe assigned buttons to key presses?
I farted about with numerous remotes and couldn't find any I really liked that did everything.

In the end I bought a flirc dongle it may be worth a look for you too

http://flirc.tv/
(2014-02-03, 16:33)Saner Wrote: I farted about with numerous remotes and couldn't find any I really liked that did everything.

Thanks, I did look at Flirc but then I wasn't sure if it would be vulnerable to the same issue as the issue is with X11 and not allowing more than a byte to be passed for IR commands. I'd rather get the nice new remote as it's simplier for my girlfriend to operate but ...

I'm still not sure about this damn bug, if its just my implementation or if it's something thats going to crop up with Flirc or a Universal remote?
(2014-02-03, 17:27)Packet Loss Wrote:
(2014-02-03, 16:33)Saner Wrote: I farted about with numerous remotes and couldn't find any I really liked that did everything.

Thanks, I did look at Flirc but then I wasn't sure if it would be vulnerable to the same issue as the issue is with X11 and not allowing more than a byte to be passed for IR commands. I'd rather get the nice new remote as it's simplier for my girlfriend to operate but ...

I'm still not sure about this damn bug, if its just my implementation or if it's something thats going to crop up with Flirc or a Universal remote?

I have a Flirc and love it. You can program any key on the keyboard.
I honestly am really confused with the issue you have...

Tried using Lirc intop of ir-keytable?
(2014-02-04, 02:54)teeedubb Wrote: Tried using Lirc intop of ir-keytable?

I haven't and probably out of stubbornness to use the kernel based drivers, will give Lirc a try, thanks
Thumbs Up 
Well my problem is solved, and in hindsight seems obvious but then it always does.

You simply can't get away without using lircd or inputlirc to get a modern IR remote working, it's simply not possible to rely on the native linux drivers alone with the single byte limit and X11.

Previous attempts to lircd working failed consistently and I've discovered its due to some hard coding in the init script that disables all other protocols except LIRC which of course breaks my NEC based IR remote.

I'll open a question/issue on the LIRC forums if those guys are still active, and I think the XBMC remote forums need some cleaning up so might have to volunteer myself here too.

Logout Mark Read Team Forum Stats Members Help
Remote control hell to heaven?1